New DSLR needed

Associate
Hi

I am thinking of upgrading from my 50D which I am using with 25-105 L canon lens to a new body, and I need advice between two cameras 5d mk3 and 6d mk. MK3 will be 2nd hand and probably a bit cheaper but, 6dmk2 got all the new stuff wifi nfc etc etc. So should I got for new 6dmk2 or 2nd hand 5d mk3?

Thanks

Soldato
I’ve just bought a 6DII and 24-105 II kit new.

Couldn’t justify the extra for the 5DIII (even if used).

Plus GPS should be useful and IQ is close enough according to DXOMark to not be noticeable.

Should be arriving tomorrow!

Associate
OP
I’ve just bought a 6DII and 24-105 II kit new.

Couldn’t justify the extra for the 5DIII (even if used).

Plus GPS should be useful and IQ is close enough according to DXOMark to not be noticeable.

Should be arriving tomorrow!

Hi

I can get 5dmk3 for around £1k-1.2k with low shutter etc perfect condition, and 6dmk2 would cost me £1.8k so Im proper confused, also i do not care about video at all heh... decisions decisions

Soldato
Bought mine from HDEW Cameras. £1300 for 6DII, UK Stock apparently.

Also you’ll be lucky to find a decent 5DIII below £1300, I tried! Maybe you’ll have better luck...

Soldato
I'm pretty sure £1300 would be body only with no lens.

Indeed. £2k for 6DII + 24-105 II.

I've played with mine now - controls on the back are no match for the 7D/5D series, but I'm fairly sure (hopeful!) that I'll get used to it...

Otherwise IQ is as you'd expect from FF, stunningly good. ISO1600 looks like ISO400 on my 7D.

So other than the awful multi-selector wheel thing and the thumb wheel being too small - I'm happy so far.

Soldato

I've played with mine now - controls on the back are no match for the 7D/5D series, but I'm fairly sure (hopeful!) that I'll get used to it...

Otherwise IQ is as you'd expect from FF, stunningly good. ISO1600 looks like ISO400 on my 7D.

So other than the awful multi-selector wheel thing and the thumb wheel being too small - I'm happy so far.

Just curious as to what made you got for that over a 5D MkIII. Not that it is a bad camera, far from it, but it does get some mixed opinions.
I suppose it depends on how you use the camera but have you been impressed with the autofocus and would you say that it is responsive enough and accurate with fast moving subjects...?

Associate
OP

Yes you right I was looking on mk1 :) silly me. The only thing stpping me buying 6d mk2 is lack of joystick and that silly wheel on the back, as i got useto 50d controls so much. Let us know more about it. Is this uk product or grey import. Also I have seen they offer 3 years warranty I winder how it works. Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Just curious as to what made you got for that over a 5D MkIII. Not that it is a bad camera, far from it, but it does get some mixed opinions.
I suppose it depends on how you use the camera but have you been impressed with the autofocus and would you say that it is responsive enough and accurate with fast moving subjects...?

Well I've just come from a 7D which has good AF, I've only had it 24 hours so not really tried moving subjects - not really why you buy a 6DII over a 7DII...

AF seems accurate thus far however.

Yes you right I was looking on mk1 :) silly me. The only thing stpping me buying 6d mk2 is lack of joystick and that silly wheel on the back, as i got useto 50d controls so much. Let us know more about it. Is this uk product or grey import. Also I have seen they offer 3 years warranty I winder how it works. Thanks in advance.

UK product (as far as I can tell!), and they put a warranty card for use with themselves it seems. UK charger, etc... No reason to doubt it isn't UK stock bar the price.

The silly joystick is annoying, but as I say hopefully I'll get used to it.

Regarding the 5DIII debate - I wasn't convinced I'd get one below £1300 that hadn't done a decent amount of work.

6DII: Brand New, 3 year warranty (in this case), GPS
5DIII: Used, no warranty, better controls.

Tough decision either way.... took me a month of swinging from one to the other.

Associate

How are you finding the camera?

I was set on a used 5d mkiii but now the reviews and the price are swaying me..

I mainly shoot sport.

Soldato
How are you finding the camera?

I was set on a used 5d mkiii but now the reviews and the price are swaying me..

I mainly shoot sport.

I don't think a 6D (or a 5DIII either IMO) is really a 'sports' camera...

Honestly no idea - not done any moving subjects shots yet!

Soldato
Having used it for a while now the summary is:

AF is excellent even in low light.
IQ is also excellent.

Controls are rubbish, 80D AF sensors are occasionally limiting due to the small area.

Auto ISO tops out at 1600 when using a flash, annoying when I’d like it to go to 3200 to keep flash power down.

Gimmicky tilting screen has come in useful for a few shots.

GPS is excellent outside if slow to initially lock. Inside you might as well turn it off as it’s useless. iPhone locks indoors, 6D doesn’t.

Should you buy one over a 5DIII? For the same price probably not, but for peace of mind due to warranty, etc I think people can live with it.

Back
Top Bottom