New Earphones and Headphones

Associate
Hey guys,

Well basically after going through 4 or maybe 5 pairs of Ultimate Ears 700s I have come to the conclusion that their build quality is depressing. Great sound but the cable just doesn't seem to last - I think the internal wires have issues as on the outside all is fine but the audio is choppy and switches from ear to ear.

Anyway I want to buy a new pair of both head phones and ear phones, the latter will be for the gym mainly so my budget is £50 tops but headsphone is more important and anything up to £250 seems fair to me.

Hope this information is enough for all you experts ;).

Thanks for your help!

Associate
OP
I've not tried many head phones but the Monsters Inspirations were comfortable and had a decent fit. Sound quality could have been better though. Head phones need to be portable, I will basically be using them anytime I'm not in the gym.

Soldato
I'd suggest the Sennheiser Momentum, if they fit you (small earcups). They would be my #1 if they fit me, and are okay for home use as well. Otherwise look at the UE6000/9000, Yamaha Pro 500, V-Moda M100, and maybe the Sony MDR-1R which is available for under £100 now on eBay because Sony gave thousands away with their flagship phone.

Associate
OP
The Sennheiser Momentum look great, a colelague suggested the Sennheiser Amperior but the former are so much better looking and look more comfortable. Anyone know if any airport has these at dutyfree (an excuse to fly :p).

Soldato
lol :D I'd love to see someone out and about with those on...

I'd be tempted to try these:

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/mobile-portable/custom-one-pro.html

I haven't heard those particular ones but I own various other Beyerdynamic headphones and they're all comfortable and I like the general neutral sound they have.

The Custom One Pros can be made to be open or closed which is handy and there's some options you can customise on them too to make them look invidual :)

Soldato
The Sennheiser Momentum look great, a colelague suggested the Sennheiser Amperior but the former are so much better looking and look more comfortable. Anyone know if any airport has these at dutyfree (an excuse to fly :p).

Ive got the Amperior's and they are certainly a lot more punchy/ aggressive. The momentums are nice but lacking in overall sound detail in comparison. I would suggest you try both befor committing.

http://www.headfonia.com/the-amperior-and-the-momentum-and-the-hd25-1/

Soldato
The Momentums have better detail and the soundstage is ENORMOUS in comparison which really helps in this, they don't have the sibilance in treble either which isn't pleasant till you're used to it. I wouldn't totally ditch my Amperior or HD-25, but I'd only keep them around for production and abuse situations.
I've used them for years, and they've beat all comers for me including current competitors, the Momentums are better for listening, and they don't fit me...

Soldato
The Momentums have better detail
Tbh that's not what I found and I was going to buy them as a second pair. I'd rather say they were less aggressive and smooth or laid back: some have called it refined. I would agree with the soundstage. It would be interesting to hear how other people have found them though :)

The Amperior is significantly better in the bass with more texture and punch. It also blows the Momentum away in term of rhythm. If you want to sit in a coffee shop and listen to pleasing and pretty hi-fi then the Momentums are it but, they aren't the serious audio tool that the Amperiors are
...innerfidelity.com

To our ears, the Sennheiser Amperior are what headphones designed for urban or beat-based music should sound like - what the Monster Beats should have aimed to be in the first place. Few others can relay the low- and sub-bass of synth instruments and beats with the same assured strength as these, and all without spoiling the rhythm of the music - as headphones with a less "fast" or taut bass response will tend to. The litheness of the low-end performance here is comparable to a good dedicated subwoofer.

Excellent bass control and overall articulation let the Amperior headphones have a good crack at any kind of music, but if you're after a real light touch or laid-back approach to music, you may want to look elsewhere. And although technically inferior in several respects, the B&W P5 and P3 offer a smoother, more relaxed listen. But we know which we'd rather rock out to.

Verdict

About as much fun as you can hope to have without risking arrest, injury or embarrassment, the Sennheiser Amperior headphones are some of the best out-and-about headphones ever made. Incredible bass impact is matched with great articulation, showing up most big-name alternatives. You can get more impressive tech and more en vogue designs elsewhere, but if you care about sound quality and are out for a good time, there aren't many closed-back sets better than this.
...trustedreviews.com

Whathifi weren't quite as enthusiastic though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Definitely smooth and I say a bit warm or coloured in the less negative sense - rich. And a truer reproduction of what music is meant to sound like. The soundstage and separation compared to the Amperior was immense, I think I had the 1R and M-100 at the time too, put them to shame also. I'm definitely an audio objectivist but transducers have such big differences.

HD-25/Amperior is very fast and precise, a bit too harsh when you put them on after anything else. But the perfect tool, or maybe weapon. I love 'em and overall they've seen off literally dozens of contenders I've compared them to, as a portable and for music work. There are plenty of other headphones that are nicer to listen to, certainly in a more relaxed setting when you don't need the thump and isolation.

Edit: I see he called it a tool too, haha.

Associate
OP
So I'm wearing a pair of HD25s, sadly as I wear glasses they aren't too comfortable but the sound is beautiful, I actually prefer headphones now after years of earphones.

As for the earphones, I found a pair of Klipsch Image S4i Rugged at near enough 50% (£46) so I've jumped on it.

Back
Top Bottom