New EK Kit issues

Associate
Hi all,

I recently purchased and installed an EK P360 Kit but have run into a few things I'm concerned about.

Firstly there is a strange black material on the water block that wasn't there when I first installed it. Is this normal or something to be worried about?

Secondly, there are quite a few very small bubbles in the block and reservoir that don't seem to disappear despite my shaking and moving my case around. Again, is this OK?

Lastly, I'm disappointed with the actual performance of the loop. I original had a bequiet! Shadow Rock LP cooler and it kept the CPU at around 70C at full load. The new EK Kit I have installed keeps the CPU between 60-70C at full load. I though it would cool much better than this.

Am I simply expecting too much or could there be a fault? I've checked all the fittings etc and can't find any leaks or blockages.

This is my first foray into water cooling so any help is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: to confirm the CPU is running at stock speeds and stock voltage.

Last edited:
Associate
What do you mean by "Black material" ?

Did you flush out the rads before fitting ?

I am guessing with it being a "kit" it should have all been flushed but dunno with EK dodgy Quality control recently...

Associate
OP
Here's a picture of the bkack build up -
14o3kvr.jpg

I flushed it yes. My main concern is the temps as they seems overly high for a stock CPU...

Associate
Not quite sure looking at the photo as it's not that sharp, but do you have fins going vertically? They should go horizontally (from inlet to outlet).

Associate
Yes on copper block. Yes temperature can be visibly higher with incorrect assembly of the block. Which black build up do you mean from the photo?

Associate
It's water squeezed between black bracket and acrylic part...I would assume you took it all apart, maybe to clean and it was a bit damp. It will disappear once dry off

Man of Honour
Unless you have submerged the block when cleaning, there is no way that the 'black' areas should be there.

Looks like a pretty major leak around the seal/gasket.

Take it off and test it away from the computer, of with the PC off and just the pump running ( Google 'Paperclip method' to run your PSU without powering up your PC )

Associate
Occasionally you do see residue from the o-ring/screws around the edges of blocks, the Supremacy isn't an exception so it might not be a leak, it should be obvious if it is as it will persistently keep getting worse. It's hard to tell if the photo is just exaggerating it. See below, that's a new block, never filled and perfectly sealed.

eH6I5ift1W3LQWRASzFzFy-thAY4H3lBAX50r9vVvxUk3a3n723Y6LCqrQB_V5_V7yFL9j20rEWSUvbqLAD91-NpV29J22uhNdVCJ8nlk5Hh-RmxONA716y09g7ydJrCCmGoqPtrZFVPD3KKpdyzymcfA6IU85muyESQNo9iQxWMfyMILbtyvN6IMF6w1iKNDEoUxLLmofGtvpV4s_cM0pXZljCv6qc1wfRvcl0D7EFoOec8KGd0rqE4J-duJ-f-DZ2_ROoVFE2mdwY3KT1NoJy5walrezJmopgWrl8gXaiN_1hVnoIpvWZUIKzrufAYVLCv5tkgwovCZ-CQIjICmzV2uQwY5zeBkEP4LP3JEkV1UuKmRimQ-42Sv0vcRnI4N6ul6pIkQQvK0GlnR_RNVzh6VJVK2Bgs1tkrgRudcUbaPVQw_nU4q5BIO-CUETbBtvGq0uChfA9-YSYOl-EZIaaRYj0UdHmyzF39ry-xNkAH1NXXcY9OHYuSHVqU0M3DWMGRhiGQUAt_2HX91g4O0yMSnacW3qsVJl3DY3oCQcSmfrlDZABo3DnY6chxJS-61kowzw_oIvvmO_fKpN2VIpi8dybiU7KGb2qDalyPFAX5lvQbrv6KsQ=w4000-no

In your pic it does look like the fins are incorrectly aligned with the top, that would definitely explain the poor performance. Did you take it apart to switch jet plates or did it ship like that?

JR

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have the same residue as in the top of the block in your picture, exactly the same.

In regards to the fins yes, I had them the wrong way and have since I changed the jet plate.

I've rectified my error and temps have dropped to below 50C under full load.

Thanks for the help guys!!!

Man of Honour
Occasionally you do see residue from the o-ring/screws around the edges of blocks, the Supremacy isn't an exception so it might not be a leak, it should be obvious if it is as it will persistently keep getting worse. It's hard to tell if the photo is just exaggerating it. See below, that's a new block, never filled and perfectly sealed.

eH6I5ift1W3LQWRASzFzFy-thAY4H3lBAX50r9vVvxUk3a3n723Y6LCqrQB_V5_V7yFL9j20rEWSUvbqLAD91-NpV29J22uhNdVCJ8nlk5Hh-RmxONA716y09g7ydJrCCmGoqPtrZFVPD3KKpdyzymcfA6IU85muyESQNo9iQxWMfyMILbtyvN6IMF6w1iKNDEoUxLLmofGtvpV4s_cM0pXZljCv6qc1wfRvcl0D7EFoOec8KGd0rqE4J-duJ-f-DZ2_ROoVFE2mdwY3KT1NoJy5walrezJmopgWrl8gXaiN_1hVnoIpvWZUIKzrufAYVLCv5tkgwovCZ-CQIjICmzV2uQwY5zeBkEP4LP3JEkV1UuKmRimQ-42Sv0vcRnI4N6ul6pIkQQvK0GlnR_RNVzh6VJVK2Bgs1tkrgRudcUbaPVQw_nU4q5BIO-CUETbBtvGq0uChfA9-YSYOl-EZIaaRYj0UdHmyzF39ry-xNkAH1NXXcY9OHYuSHVqU0M3DWMGRhiGQUAt_2HX91g4O0yMSnacW3qsVJl3DY3oCQcSmfrlDZABo3DnY6chxJS-61kowzw_oIvvmO_fKpN2VIpi8dybiU7KGb2qDalyPFAX5lvQbrv6KsQ=w4000-no

JR

I'm happy to be proved wrong :)

Glad you got it sorted OP

Associate
Glad the temp issue with the wrongly oriented jet plate vs fins is solved. :)

About the black material, it's totally normal and it's not a leak. It's a residue that you'll often see on the block. It's coming from the o-ring which has a small oil-like lubricant applied and sometimes the extra lubricant finds it's way between the mounting plate and the CPU block top. ;)

For the bubbles, they will disappear over the next few days/weeks

Associate
OP
Glad the temp issue with the wrongly oriented jet plate vs fins is solved. :)

About the black material, it's totally normal and it's not a leak. It's a residue that you'll often see on the block. It's coming from the o-ring which has a small oil-like lubricant applied and sometimes the extra lubricant finds it's way between the mounting plate and the CPU block top. ;)

For the bubbles, they will disappear over the next few days/weeks

It's funny as I remember reading an article about watercooling and one of the lines stuck with me - "Nearly all issues with watercooling set-ups occur due to user error". I thought, nah can't be something that I've done wrong!

Lesson learned. Thanks again for all the help!

Soldato
What do you mean by "Black material" ?

Did you flush out the rads before fitting ?

I am guessing with it being a "kit" it should have all been flushed but dunno with EK dodgy Quality control recently...

Ive got this kit and ive got to say im overly impressed by the radiator. Looking on the net i was expecting to see brown water with lots of black and green particles but first flush with hot water and it came out clear as it went in. Zero particles. Flushed it 7 times even with boiling water and nothing. AFAIK EK pre flush them which is why they are clean.

Thanks to OP ill not make this mistake this weekend :) But we all learn from mistakes. We don't learn much from doing it right the first time.

Associate
I know it sounds like EK flush their rads in their kits (Which thry should, its for first time users and is the kind of thing they will miss !)

But i would always flush a rad "Just to be sure" Far easier to sort before than when it's all built!

But again glad its all sorted for the OP :)

Back
Top Bottom