New electrical socket: Cut earth + live

Caporegime
My house has an electrical system form the 1970s and the plastic on a couple of electrical sockets has disintegrated so need replacing. I thought I could just buy replacement plastic overs, but these are not easy to source as here in Switzerland they changed designed from a Flush socket (Type 12), to recessed (type 13). So I purchased a new socket thinking it is a 2 minute wiring job, but the only socket has earth and Live as a continuous wires, just with the plastic sheath removed and a loop of the copper core screwed into the 2 pins. The new sockets have a simply clamping mechanism , so need the wire cut and the 2 ends pushed inside and clamped down with plastic clips.

The question is, should I just go ahead and cut the wires at the exposed copper? Or should I really find some old socket?

Soldato
Pictures would help as I can't really make any sense of this.

If there isn't any exposed copper to short out, and the right wires go to the right places, it's probably a sound solution. Think about safety first, and convenience second. What will happen if a wire gets tugged or pinched?

Back
Top Bottom