New gamer - what 3 games should I get?

Associate
Never been into gaming but my new PC I'm about to buy/build will be good enough to run games.

I quite like the building/strategy sort of games. Also adventure ones are good. Shooting ones I'm not sure I like much but would be willing to try

So far I have seen/considering

The Sims - never played it but it sounds good

World of Warcraft - heard this is very addictive but good

GTA - is this good on the PC?

Fifa

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Soldato
witcher 3 /thread end

but others

action:
GTA, sleeping dogs,doom
sleeping dogs you can get for a few pounds car animations are bit off but games fun!!

adventure:
brothers
rayman
ori and the blind forest

pure fun
Rocket league

building
planet coaster (Rollercoaster tycoon but Good)

relaxing
Euro Truck Simulator

Soldato
Civilisation is a great strategy game, witcher 3 is an incredible rpg with loads of story and freedom, and I also recommend Brothers: a tale of two sons (trust me it's awesome, but you'll need an Xbox pad to play it)

Associate
You could try Terraria (looks bad , but really good)

Prison Architect and Escapists are 2 games I still haven't got around to playing, but should be very good, both by appearance and reputation. Civization as mentioned, V was decent 'ish, I couldn't get away with VI, maybe when it's finished (modern day game model, dlc, dlc and more dlc)

GTA V is a solid game.

I would say CSGO, but it's not really any good for casual (I only really like competitive game mode) but like most things, it's down to personal preference. (Edit ignore this game it's a fps)

You say "Never been into gaming" but then "I quite like the building/strategy sort of games. Also adventure ones are good" Obviously you've played games, but when and which?

If years ago, great, there's a wealth of games, even GOG has some classics. Used to love me some SWOS, Theme Hospital, etc. (Amiga was a boss)

Associate
No particular order:

1) Rimworld. A planet colonizing simulation without equal. Still in alpha, but functioning perfectly. More features and possibilities than most other games in the same style. I think it's only still in alpha because the developers can't bring themselves to stop adding new stuff.
2) Darkest Dungeon. A dungeon crawler like no other. It looks very unusual at first glance, but don't let that put you off. Procedural dungeons so you're never in the same situation twice.
3) Carrier Command Gaea Mission. For me, one of the best games ever. It's an unusual mixture; strategy and first person game, where during the first person part you can jump into and take control of any of the vehicles, instead of having the AI execute your commands.

As for your own suggestions:
The Sims. I don't know, it could be good, but it has one major flaw that spoils it completely for me: the individual days are much too short to acomplish everything that needs doing, and this is frustrating beyong belief. I could get stomach ulcers from this game.
GTA: I liked all of the GTA 3 series, but after that I find the series is technically very impressive but only half as much fun.
The others you mentioned I haven't played.

As for the other suggestions here, the ones I would also recommend:
Doom, most definitely, but the original from 1752 with the GZDoom engine and loads of mods, maps, and generators (Oblige, for instance), and launched with the ZDL front end.
Orange Box: you can't go wrong with this.
Prison Architect: it was either this or Rimworld. Can't say enough good things about both. I had to keep one of them off the list to get the other two on it.
Most of the others mentioned I've played and find rather meh. But perhaps that's just meh.

Soldato
I started gaming around 4 years ago after a break of 15 years. 2 of the games that blew my mind at the time and really showed me what modern games can offer were Far Cry 3 and Bioshock Infinite. Both can be picked up fairly cheap now. Both are great adventures and real experiences.

Associate
OP
I've looked up Witcher 3 on Amazon.

Probably being a bit stupid but there's one for £21 and one for £36. There's others at different prices.

Which one should I get? I'm guessing just the £21 game as it's probably just the same as the other?

Soldato
I've looked up Witcher 3 on Amazon.

Probably being a bit stupid but there's one for £21 and one for £36. There's others at different prices.

Which one should I get? I'm guessing just the £21 game as it's probably just the same as the other?

Cheaper one is the standard edition with just the base game, the more expensive version has both DLC packs. I'd get the cheaper and if you really love it then you can by the DLC packs separately.

Back
Top Bottom