New Gaming Laptop 5k

Associate
I am back in the market for a new gaming laptop. I have a budget of about 5K. I am out the loop on what is the best in terms of screen and GFX. Could someone bring me up to speed please.
Not after a 4K screen but prefer something better than HD.

Can't comment on gaming laptops, but with that budget I'd want something with an OLED screen... Quite a lot of higher end ones are coming with them now.. Well worth it, they are just so much nicer for everything.

You need to give more details for us to be able to help.

What is best for you may not be what the best is for me, for example.

thanks for the replies, in terms of details. This is a replacement desktop so bigger the better. Would love 18" Oled. Dont care how heavy care more about performance and screen. It is 99% gaming.

thanks for the replies, in terms of details. This is a replacement desktop so bigger the better. Would love 18" Oled. Dont care how heavy care more about performance and screen. It is 99% gaming.

At that budget then just take your pick from here.

My main thought would be more on warranty & support at this budget rather than spec as you can get the top spec machines.

Last edited:
Think out of those, i'd get this as it looks like the only OLED one. Although it does say its power limited compared to some due to it being quite slim-line.

Even in 16" guise the Zephyrus are Ultra Books so super slim, long battery life, productivity focused and don't have a full power GPU. The i9 185h CPU isn't as powerful as the i9 14900HX in say the Razer Blade 18 either.

For desktop replacement, The Razer Blade 18 would be my pick and you can upgrade to the Elite Warranty. Some would prefer the Mini LED screen to OLED.

The Zephyrus is a great machine though but designed with a very different purpose and would also be my pick for overall balanced use. However, I value portability, battery life and productivity over raw power and screen size.

Last edited:
myself I wanted a quite a compact desktop replacement for when I am away and wanted to buy the Zephyrus 16 duo 4090 64GB but in the end decided just to skip and wait for the 2024 version with OLED screen if ASUS ever release one. Its gorgeous machine( obviously in the eye of the beholder). If portability is not something you desire, then pick an 18" version better thermals and noise. You also cant go wrong with either MSI or Razer.

I believe its ram is also upgradable

Last edited:
myself I wanted a quite a compact desktop replacement for when I am away and wanted to buy the Zephyrus 16 duo 4090 64GB but in the end decided just to skip and wait for the 2024 version with OLED screen if ASUS ever release one. Its gorgeous machine( obviously in the eye of the beholder). If portability is not something you desire, then pick an 18" version better thermals and noise. You also cant go wrong with either MSI or Razer.

I believe its ram is also upgradable
Even in 16" guise the Zephyrus are Ultra Books so super slim, long battery life, productivity focused and don't have a full power GPU. The i9 185h CPU isn't as powerful as the i9 14900HX in say the Razer Blade 18 either.

For desktop replacement, The Razer Blade 18 would be my pick and you can upgrade to the Elite Warranty. Some would prefer the Mini LED screen to OLED.

The Zephyrus is a great machine though but designed with a very different purpose and would also be my pick for overall balanced use. However, I value portability, battery life and productivity over raw power and screen size.

That looks like the one to me, how do you get the better warrantee dont see any options as its only 1 year!

I'd be wary of buying a 14th Gen Intel whilst the saga about them degrading/crashing plays out.

Unless there's clear evidence mobile chips are definitively free of defects the desktop chips have I wouldn't be buying one.

Edit:

That's a hard pass from me.

Last edited:
I might be an outlier here, but I'd say with that level of budget, you'd be better spending around 2.5-3K on a decent 4080 with high refresh rate QHD screen laptop, put the other 2.5K aside and upgrade in a couple of years.

The 4080, as long as you get a decent machine with good TGP, should still be around desktop 4070-4070TI level, so on par or if not better than a desktop 3080, which'll push QHD framerates really nicely.

Then, upgrade a generation or two down the line; there's a rather huge amount of enthusiast tax at the top end, and given a laptop GPU is usually at LEAST a step down from the desktop equivalent so you'll get WAY more out of your money getting 2 high end machines that are a bit more mainstream (and sell a truck ton more and therefore have volume to get discounted a bit), over a couple of generations, than one ultra high end (with high enthusiast tax), which is very likely to get beaten soundly by the second machine you could get in a couple of years, now that AMD and Intel are at each others throats again.

Something like this. Unfortunately high end AMD gaming laptops are harder to find in the UK.

If you're going to push the budget, something like this:
3.3K and would happily last you, just make sure to install all the AMD stuff so the system puts games on the x3d vcache cores - its an added layer of complication, but it does come with a 4090 laptop GPU too.

I think if you look around, Asus do a few variants of these X3D AMD Gaming Rogs, I BELIEVE they got exclusivity on the x3D laptop chips last generation, but they're available with differing prices and specs from around the £2700 mark.

Honestly, I wouldn't spend more than the above 3.3K at most, put the rest aside for an upgrade in a few years :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom