New Gaming PC! Alienware?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply. The 760T is just a redesigned 750d though which I didn't particularly like and also the removed top vent would surely disrupt cooling. Yer I'm currently looking through the OC website looking at E-ATX cases :) Any suggestions would be great!

Many thanks,
Alex

Soldato
Phanteks Enthoo Primo if you like them big and might ever fancy watercooling for a relative bargain price, or the upcoming Enthoo Pro is a bit more compact and still offers great features and cooling.

The Switch 810 is a good shout, so also check out some of their other (and newer) cases.
Airflow isn't the best strength of the Shinobi XL, so I'd avoid that.

There's plenty of options anyway. Just have a good browse :)

Caporegime
+1 for avoiding the shinobi xl, had one here and the air intake is shockingly poor. And for a full tower case, it's actually pretty cramped inside. The enthoo pro as mentioned, or the soon to be released enthoo luxe is another option. The primo is a stunning case but costs £200.00, all of the phanteks cases though offer good air cooling and are built with watercooling in mind should you choose to go this way later.

Soldato
The Shinobi is a classy looking case, but if the airflow is poor then I agree it is not one to consider.
The Phanteks cases are very good. I might get myself the Enthoo pro in July.

Caporegime
Yep, the xl is indeed a very elegant case, but like a lot of bitfenix cases it has a very enclosed front design. The two mesh strips offer virtually no intake at all. Wasnt an ideal case for sli, (ran gtx 470's and 670's in it).

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies! The Shinobi XL is a very nice case, however if it doesn't perform well its not much use. I really like the look of the Phanteks cases and will take a further look at them. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Alex

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. The 760T is just a redesigned 750d though which I didn't particularly like and also the removed top vent would surely disrupt cooling.

The top vents are there, it just has a dust cover which can be placed on them when the computer isn't in use.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the reply! My biggest problem with the 750d was that the front covered panel would surely bottleneck the fans. Also I've read there are some serious quality control issues with recent Corsair cases. I see you have the 750d, how do you have it set up and whats the quality like? Asides from those two things I generally do like the case, but if performance and quality are not top I would like to look elsewhere.

Many thanks,
Alex

Associate
Hi thanks for the reply! My biggest problem with the 750d was that the front covered panel would surely bottleneck the fans. Also I've read there are some serious quality control issues with recent Corsair cases. I see you have the 750d, how do you have it set up and whats the quality like? Asides from those two things I generally do like the case, but if performance and quality are not top I would like to look elsewhere.

Many thanks,
Alex

According to tests, the Corsair cases rate highly for cooling even with the front panel on. As for quality control issues with their cases those issues seem to be restricted to early life cycles, don't see many people moaning about their Corsair cases on here. They're also revealing some new ones at Computex this week:

graphite-780t-il.jpg

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply! Ok maybe the quality issues aren't too bad then. I've just seen multiple cases of pieces breaking off soon after purchases, although I could always send it back if that happened, but hopefully in the later models that should have been fixed. I'll reconsider the Corsair cases and the 780T linked looks really good actually. Is it a replacement for the 760T?

Many thanks,
Alex

Soldato

Many thanks,
Alex

Mine has been fine and I got it the week it was released.

Airflow is surprisingly good and made even better when remove the HDD bays from the front and put your HDD in a 5.25"instead.

I have:

2 x Corsair High Pressure Fans in the front as intake.
2 x Corsair High Pressure Fans in the bottom as intake.

1 x 140mm Quiet Edition Fan in the rear as exhaust
1 x 140mm Quiet Edition Fan in the top as exhaust
1 x 140mm Quiet Edition Fan in the top as intake

Card sits between 70-85 degrees dependent on game and ambient temperature (I live in Australia, no air con in my computer room).

My case fans are all PWM and are controlled by Asus Fan Xpert so when temperatures reach a certain point they increase in speed, when everything is idle it is nice and quiet.

I hope this helps, I cannot recommend the 750D enough the build quality is top notch and it is easily the best case I have ever owned.

Associate
OP
Hi thanks for the info! I'm starting to warm to the 750d but also really liking the Phanteks Enthoo Primo as well. How does the 750d work for mounting a 240mm rad? I was hoping to do a push pull system at the top of the case.

Also I've noticed that Corsair have released the M550. What's everyones thoughts on this? Is this the SSD to go with or should I be considering something else such as the Samsung 840 EVO?

Finally what is everyones thoughts on a RAID 0 set up for my mechanical hard drives? I planned on getting 1x2tb hard drive but could put 2x1tb hard drives in raid 0. I know drive failure becomes more likely but I regularly back up so thats fine. What I was wondering was is it more hassle to set up and maintain than it's actually worth? Or is it all fairly straight forward and reliable?

Many thanks,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom