Associate
I've just finished building a new gaming PC and cannot get it to work somehow. Every time I power it up everything seems to work but there is no display, just a black screen. I've tried testing all the components apart from the processor and ram with other computers and they're all working fine. I bought the motherboard from amazon warehouse and it had slightly damaged pins but I sent that back and got a brand new one and I still have the same problem. The processor was delid and purchased on ebay from a legit seller. I've contacted him for a refund, he seems positive that the processor was in perfect working order. The problem is that I can't find any computer shop with a coffee lake motherboard to test the cpu itself and the seller wants proof that it is broken. I'm not sure what else could be wrong with the computer. If anyone has any suggestions then that would be great. The full specs for my pc are below, thanks.

Gigabyte geoforce 1080ti turbo edition 11gb
Intel i7 8700k processor
Asus 1151 socket Z370 Chipset strix D4 mini itx motherboard
Samsung 860 evo 1tb ssd
Corsair vengeance lpx 16gb 2x8gb DDR4 3200MHZ ram
Corsair RM650X psu
Corsair carbide air 240 case
Corsair H100i cooler

Soldato
Have you tried plugging the monitor cable into one of the motherboard video ports? Have you fitted a buzzer and do you get any beep codes?

Soldato
I'm not sure about the beep codes. Yet, i've left my computer with a friend but i'll find out.

A big mistake I see people make all the time, especially over at Tom's is because they've built plenty of PC's in the past they don't bother reading the manual, so they just stick the RAM in slot 1 and 3, where as, reading the manual states, slot 2 must be populated, so 2 and 4 are the first slots to use, double check this.

Associate
Having carried out basic checks you should just return it and buy a manufacturer packaged, sealed CPU. Don't argue with him, just say it doesn't work and return it. ebay will support this action irrespective of any reasons because even if the guy is right then he can simply sell it to someone else. All you really have to do is say it doesn't work "in your PC" and there is very little he can do ( don't be wishy washy and don't get drawn in to arguments.) . As long as you have the backing of ebay then they will insist it is refunded.

Soldato
A big mistake I see people make all the time, especially over at Tom's is because they've built plenty of PC's in the past they don't bother reading the manual, so they just stick the RAM in slot 1 and 3, where as, reading the manual states, slot 2 must be populated, so 2 and 4 are the first slots to use, double check this.

He has an ITX board according to his opening post, so it is likely he only has two ram slots.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help guys. I think i'll just return the processor and buy a new one. If it still doesn't work then I'm going to have a heart attack.

Back
Top Bottom