New Gaming PC...=)

Associate
Hi,
With recent explosion of new tech (i5,ATI 5000 Series e.t.c) i have decided i should get a new pc...
I currently have a mouse,k-board,hdd,monitor,samsung dvd drive and a Thermaltake TR2 550W (possibly upgrade but not if un necessary)

My uses will be mainly Gaming (COD 4,MW2,Crysis,Batman Arkham Asylum e.t.c)
also Adobe CS4 not major but every so often and will be doing a lot of work on Adobe Pagemaker 7.
My Budget:£500 for a cpu,gfx,motherboard,ram and ssd if that can fit in... this however can be raised to £800 should that kind of money give me a lot better and more future proof pc but if the performance difference is minimal. I will save the money ;)
I welcome all suggestions.
Thanks Decmancity
I forgot to mention that i havent put the cost of vat into my budget so i am only looking at the subtotal which should mean i can get a better pc, Because i dont need to have the cost of VAT taking up some of the budget..

Last edited:
Associate
Hey there, here's a build for under £800.

£573 without the Solid State Drive & £745 with the Solid State Drive

not sure if you'll need a new PSU though, maybe someone more high tech can answer that one.

guyzbuild2.jpg

EDIT: the SSD i put in hasn't got Great Read/Write speeds compared to the more Expensive SSD's it would cost about £50-60 more for an SSD with higher Read/Write speeds at 128gb. Not sure how big you wanted the SSD, you could put in a 64-80gb drive for the same price as the one i have put in which have Good Read/Write speeds.

Last edited:
Soldato
a 650W if you plan to stay single core, a 750W if you want to have two cards at any time.

Anything from Antec, BeQuiet, Corsair and Zalman is a safe bet.

Associate
OP
@hybridX I am looking at getting a Phenom II 955 but i may drop it down to a 945 and save 30w.
Other specs
MSI 785GM-E51
Patriot G Series AMD 4GB 1333 DDR3
Seagate Sata 250gb HDD

Associate
OP
I just did a quick psu calculator and it came back with 287w for those specs except with a 5870 because 5850 wasnt on the list. So i think i will be fine what do you guys reckon?

Soldato
PSU calculators usually guesstimate the continuous amount of power you need to output and don't really take into account load consumption or overclocking. I'd say you'd be okay with a 550, but I reckon you'd have low efficiancy and poor temperatures. I certainly wouldn't be happy myself.

Associate
OP
Ok,Having looked at my bank account after a recent purchase of a Plasma tv it looks that a 5000 series card will be out of my price range, Can you reccomend me another gfx card that will enable me good fps in the latest games on a 23'' LCD 1920 x 1080.
Thanks

Associate
A 4890 will give you good frame rates, or a 4870. They are both priced well now as the 5800 series have come out, but what price range can you afford for the graphics card?

Back
Top Bottom