New gaming rig - budget £1300 (can push bit higher if needed)

sdd

sdd

Associate
Hi all - I'm a PC gamer mostly playing ARPGs and RPGs with a bit of strategy thrown in and would like your advice on what system to get. Examples of the types of games I play are Path of Exile, Diablo 3, World of Warcraft and Total War Warhammer 2. I'd like to replace my ageing system with something for around £1300-1500 which will enable me to play these and similar games at decent settings into the future.

I'd like the system to meet the following requirements:
SSD is a must for OS drive.
At least 16Gb RAM.
I'd like to be able to play at 4k and also be ready for VR, if the latter doesn't compromise the system too much. Playing on a screen will be more important to me for the forseeable.
Quality of graphics display is more important than responsiveness - my best years of shooters are behind me.

Monitor is optional - I recently bought an "AOC Q3279VWF 31.5-Inch HDMI DVI Monitor", which does the job nicely, despite the low price. It's 1440p and has FreeSync. If I can get a decent monitor which will do 4K for the available budget then that would be a bonus. If not, I'll get one another time.

I've not got the free time I used to have, so I'd prefer a pre-built system to keep things as simple as possible.

Thanks for any advice :)
SDD

Soldato
@sdd

Ryzen

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,403.51 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Intel

Total: £1,383.46 (includes shipping: £12.60)

Both systems should handle your games just fine as well as futures ones without breaking the bank, but also handle wow expansion which is starting to ask more from PC users .
Gtx 1070ti is 1440p card but due to the games you play, should handle 4K as they are generally 30fps based games and more CPU bound .

Believe it's £100-150 for OCUK to build a list with warranty but you'll have to double check. And sure users will be able to quote different list of pre-built ones.

Also save cash, just upscale your games on that 32" 1440p screen :) should do nicely and save cash !

Also save cash on cases , everyone has different tastes

sdd

sdd

Associate
OP
Thanks for the feedback - I've gone with the majority of the components by modifying this pre-built system - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-pc-intel-core-i5-8600k-4.8ghz-fs-1bv-og.html

Does the following look ok?

• 1 x OcUK Gaming Gallium Overclocked Gaming PC - Intel Core i5 8600K @ 4.8GHz = £1,455.95
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24
    • Solid State Drive (Primary):Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)
    • Solid State Drive (Secondary):Unwanted
    • Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 64-Bit DVD - OEM (MS-KW9-00139)
    • Security Software:Bullguard Anti-Virus 2017 - 1 PC 1 Year **Offer Price**
    • Case:phanteks Eclipse P400S Glass Midi Tower Case - Noise Dampened Black
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Storage Drive:Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD
    • Graphics Card:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070Ti Gaming 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • WIFI:Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter
Total: £1,470.05 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Soldato
Nice, would pump ram speed up to 3200hz team group.
Check with PSU is in the system
Do not use stock cooler !!!!
And also that WiFi card is pants. If you have BT or sky hubs they run ac WiFi standard

Just pay extra for Aorus 5 or Strix board with onboard WiFi !

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-55u-gi.html

Total: £290.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Last edited:
Associate

I'd like to buy and build this system for my brother. But it seems the In-Win Polaris Premium RGB Fan triple pack is out of stock - can you recommend a replacement?

Also, he doesn't want to spend £90 on a case - he doesn't care what it looks like - so what's the cheapest option?

Lastly, he doesn't want such a big expensive SSD, is there an alternative?

Soldato
I'd like to buy and build this system for my brother. But it seems the In-Win Polaris Premium RGB Fan triple pack is out of stock - can you recommend a replacement?

Also, he doesn't want to spend £90 on a case - he doesn't care what it looks like - so what's the cheapest option?

That SSD is cheap ! Nd games are now 50GB in average

Total: £158.68 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Soldato

Going with a cheaper case and then splashing an extra £35 on fans seems a bit counter productive. Maybe best to just go with a cheaper case such as the Phanteks P300 above, or a Kolink Stronghold which has 2 fans pre-installed and just roll with that.

Also as mentioned above, games are getting bigger and bigger. He could probably get away with a 240GB if he doesn't plan on installing lots of games at once. The 480GB one is a good price though.

Associate
If he doesn't care how the case looks, get one that prioritizes airflow (for low temps):

Total: £219.61 (includes shipping: £14.70)

• The two F14 fans are for intake on the Phanteks case.
  • Out of the box, the Silverstone is one of the very best airflow cases you can buy.

I wouldn't recommend going cheap on the case, especially not one that will starve high-power components of airflow.

Last edited:
Soldato
Mesh C - style, airflow and £70 -ish.

Also as a way to cut on price on the 301. The Non USB C version ( amount of phones now on the market with C ports, made damn good transfers for pictures and 4k vids )

Total: £78.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

As with the mention of airflow. Like other case in the list, damn good airflow. 3 fans directly underneath your GPU supplying cool air
Don't cheap out to much .

Last edited:
Associate
Mesh C - style, airflow and £70 -ish.

Also as a way to cut on price on the 301. The Non USB C version ( amount of phones now on the market with C ports, made damn good transfers for pictures and 4k vids )

Total: £78.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

As with the mention of airflow. Like other case in the list, damn good airflow. 3 fans directly underneath your GPU supplying cool air
Don't cheap out to much .
Mesh C needs extra fans to be really good in airflow, at least based on reviews I've read. The SilverStone doesn't look the best, but is reviewed well when in a stock configuration.

But £70 is a great price for the Mesh C, and when you add fans would still be a great option.

Associate
I placed the order with over clockers minus a few things that were not price competitive.

The graphics card and motherboard were significantly cheaper at another supplier, as was the case I chose.

I haven't ordered a copy of Windows 10 yet, but by the looks of it OC is not competitive for that either.

Soldato
I placed the order with over clockers minus a few things that were not price competitive.

The graphics card and motherboard were significantly cheaper at another supplier, as was the case I chose.

I haven't ordered a copy of Windows 10 yet, but by the looks of it OC is not competitive for that either.

what did you go for in the end ?

OCUK has some things cheaper, some things more costly. though it does have damn customer service :D and a forum that encourages you to spend money when an xbox would do the job hehe

Back
Top Bottom