New gearbox after 25k miles

Man of Honour
I've done 185,000 miles in my F11 and the ZF8 has never been serviced. It's seen some abuse in its life to. You can definitely tell it isn't a new gearbox but I'd be fuming if I had a gearbox go at 25,000.

I assume the mini is the "same" gearbox?

It is not, no. It is completely different and isn't even made by the same manufacturer.

Soldato
ZF8 gearboxes are for rear wheel drive cars like F11 and F30 etc.

Minis are front wheel drive so completely different gearbox.

Is the mini 2.0 S or JCW?

Associate
OP
That's a right eye opener!

Looks like I'll have to keep my extended warranty running for the foreseeable.

7 minis in my family with no real issues. There'll always be fringe cases.

Yeah, my Clubman still has 1 year left, so I'm definitely going to extend next year. It's not the kind of lottery you want to win. :p I'm sure my dad would have extended his if he was aware it was due to run out.

Between my dad and I, we have had quite a few Mini's over the years and we have been the same, no major issues outside of wear and tear, but I know you do get the odd one that's faulty from new.

Agreed.

However sometimes, unfortunately mechanical failures can happen prematurely.

I’m not clued up on Mini’s - Assuming this is a JCW therefore I’d imagine potentially driven very hard (Numerous Launch Controls etc, Remapped etc) again meaning 25k miles of wear with that usage I could understand a major gearbox issue.

How they can suggest 8k for a new gear box at 25,000 miles with a straight face is beyond me.

Customer Service/Complaints for Good Will and Social Media if no joy after exhausting all avenues with dealership on this one I think.

That is a good point. Yeah it is a JCW and you are correct, we have no way of knowing how the previous owner treated the car, so who knows. Maybe thrashed, or maybe just bad luck from the factory. I know for a fact my dad doesn't thrash it, I think he's too scared to put the foot down. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
yeah Mini uses the Aisin 8 speed torque converters (which is the same as the BMW 1/2 series - since these are actually based on Minis lol), rather than the ZF8 for the BMW RWDs

Soldato
Yeah, my Clubman still has 1 year left, so I'm definitely going to extend next year. It's not the kind of lottery you want to win. :p I'm sure my dad would have extended his if he was aware it was due to run out.

Between my dad and I, we have had quite a few Mini's over the years and we have been the same, no major issues outside of wear and tear, but I know you do get the odd one that's faulty from new.

That is a good point. Yeah it is a JCW and you are correct, we have no way of knowing how the previous owner treated the car, so who knows. Maybe thrashed, or maybe just bad luck from the factory. I know for a fact my dad doesn't thrash it, I think he's too scared to put the foot down. :D

Worth checking if it has been mapped. Might have caused premature wear and tear.

Mini should have checked it but I know someone who bought an M2 from BMW used, and later found out it had been remapped - they’d failed to notice. Bought the car back off him.

Soldato
I've done 185,000 miles in my F11 and the ZF8 has never been serviced. It's seen some abuse in its life to. You can definitely tell it isn't a new gearbox but I'd be fuming if I had a gearbox go at 25,000.

I assume the mini is the "same" gearbox?
Service it.
Bet it will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom