• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

new GFX info and pointers req!

Associate
Hello all howz it goin?

got a few questions that need a few answers basically, and as the thread suggests its about my GFX card!

im looking to upgrade my old 128MB DDR ATi 9800 Pro (AGP) to get a new card, keeping it APG.

Firstly, looking to spend bout £110 or maybe little over so any suggestions, i think i was leaning towards the X1650 OR is the 7600 GS better OR any other suggestions u guys can think of?

Secondly, im not really sure bout this matter at all.......the cards listed above use DDR2 RAM and my mobo (ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe) uses DDR RAM (512MB). Is or would there be any compatibility issues between the two types of memory at all or does the computer RAM work completely differently to the GFX RAM?

Thirdly and finally, my 9800 pro is so broken that i literally cant do anything before the card crashes my pc! i no that when changing graphics cards it is recommended to uninstall old drivers, in my case this probably cant happen so would i be able to slot in the new card and windows recognise it and install new drivers from there?

Cheers for reading throught this slog, but i had a few q's!

Thank you for your help in advance :)

Soldato
event h0riz0n said:
Secondly, im not really sure bout this matter at all.......the cards listed above use DDR2 RAM and my mobo (ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe) uses DDR RAM (512MB). Is or would there be any compatibility issues between the two types of memory at all or does the computer RAM work completely differently to the GFX RAM?

There will be NO problems, the two sets of memory are two separate areas of memory.

Doesn't matter what the mobo memory is.

2ndly, 7600GS :)

Caporegime
If you can get into safe mode fine, then id remove the drivers from there for the 9800pro first, probably throw up some errors if you boot up with the Nv card in there, and have ATi drivers installed, although if your going to remove the ATi drivers straight away, i doubt there will be much of a problem, but id wait for an answer from someone who will be able to tell you better on that as im not sure. :)

Welcome to the forums. :)

Back
Top Bottom