• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU for VR

Associate
Hi all,

I'm in the process or sorting out my living room PC to support a VR headset (specifically the Dell Visor I got cheap second hand from a chap at work), basically I don't want to lug my main desktop downstairs whenever I want to do room scale VR or when I have guests over to play.

The PC in question has a 2400G with 8GB of 3000MHz Ram, and was built to act as a media playback machine and to run games from my main desktop over steamlink.

Main constraints are that the case is a small silverstone HTPC setup and so the card can't be longer than 265mm (case has about 280mm max space but I need room for cable management), also there isn't much height above the PCI slot, probably only about 10-20mm. Also the Power supply is a 600W modular corsair.

Budget wise I'm looking at about the £250 mark.

I see that Nvidia seem to have better VR performance, and there is better choice of small form factor cards (looking at the zotac mini), but am I going to run into issues of conflict with the 2400G's built in GPU?

However, I cant help but think the 580 would behave itself better if I plan on using the 2400G to drive my TV.

Also am I going to run into issues running VR with just 8GB of memory? my main PC has 16GB but I haven't seen it come close to even using 8GB yet, but I don't know if that's partly an effect of my vega 64 having 8GB itself.

Soldato
Did the same as you, I've used both a 1060 and 1070 in that rig and both are absolutely fine for VR. Also 8GB Vs 16GB makes no odds.

Associate
OP
Good to know about the memory, I think a lot of games overrate the amount of RAM they need when you look at recommended requirements.
I think I'm going to keep an eye on the members market for a few weeks, it's not something I need urgently, just to make my life easier.
Kind of hoping that the 11xx series come out sooner rather than later and I can grab a second hand hero.

Soldato
Get a 1070 from the MM, better overall experience than a 1060 with sampling. But both cards will do the job, I also ran with 8GB with no issues.

Soldato
I know you could say this all the time however now it is especially true imo.
If you are getting into vr you may want to wait for an 11 series card as they should come with the new vr connector (VR link). It won't help you this gen but will help next gen also you should get a lot more bang for your buck.

Associate
VR is the only gaming form that having more graphics power is important. Fair enough 4k gaming is great, but you can get by with 1080p.
In VR, I want more power than a 1080ti as the super sampling and frame times have such a huge affect on the experience.

A 1070 is a great card for the money. Don't waste your time with a 1060, you will regret it especially with next gen (higher res) headsets.

If you can, hold for 2-3 weeks to see what happens on the 20th with NVidia. Price drops (for the same power) and new connectors might be worth the wait.

Associate
The minimum graphical requirements are blown out of proportion right now, the graphics of most VR games are average at best, and I’m being rather kind there, I play VR, way more than traditional flat games now, infact I find flat games quite boring now to be honest. I use an aging r9-290 in a mini-ITX case, there isnt a VR game out that it doesn’t play at a solid 90hz (critical for VR IMO), perhaps project Cars1/2 and LA Noire would be step to far, but I haven’t tried yet.
I also have 8GB of Ram, 1600hz with an i7-4770, no problem at all.

I have be tempted to upgrade my GPU for awhile now, but it’s handling VR perfectly fine, so I haven’t bothered.

Back
Top Bottom