• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

new GPU help.

Associate
I just got a dell S2721DGFA as a birthday present.I have a Gigabyte 7950 as a gpu and the monitor has only 60hz refresh option over hdmi.Is that the most my gpu can give or am i missing something?Thank you.

Soldato
The monitor has Displayport, why are you limiting yourself to HDMI? The 7950 also has DP ports, it may be mini DP but mini DP to DP adapters are pretty cheap.

EDIT: Quick search the DP 1.2 ports on the 7950 should be fine with 144Hz, maybe even 165Hz. Only thing you'll be missing is Freesync support since the 7950 is too old for that.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apparently on dp doesn't support either (conflicting results) more than 120hz.
Worth giving it a go. Does the monitor come with a DP cable? Either way it's much better than HDMI which is too limiting.

I'm still a bit wary buying a new GPU now due to prices. They've been coming down, but still not at sensible levels.

EDIT: Searching around it can do 144Hz on 1440p, but you may need to change it in the Windows settings, not Radeon.

Associate
OP
I'm still a bit wary buying a new GPU now due to prices. They've been coming down, but still not at sensible levels.
With the pound getting weaker against the dollar, hard to believe we will see any big drop in prices.If one thing businesses have learned past 2 years is that creating an artificial shortage increases the margins.FE drops have been almost non-existant past 3 months with a few 3080 and 3090ti. Till the new cards hit the shelves old ones mostly will start being out of stock or "on order" and we will be back to square one chasing for new ones or god knows what else will be coming our way until then.

Soldato
Alright, your choice. Just make sure to use DP with the new card if you want to make full use of your monitor, especially if you want to use Freesync/G-sync. I can't find any solid info if it can do VRR on the HDMI port.

Associate
Alright, your choice. Just make sure to use DP with the new card if you want to make full use of your monitor, especially if you want to use Freesync/G-sync. I can't find any solid info if it can do VRR on the HDMI port.
I think VRR can work over HDMI, but it needs to be over HDMI 2.1 connections. DP is certainly far easier.

Soldato
I think VRR can work over HDMI, but it needs to be over HDMI 2.1 connections. DP is certainly far easier.
There are some monitors with older HDMI versions that do have it, Freesync over HDMI was a thing before HDMI VRR was announced, but it did still have some limitations compared to DP (smaller ranges). And even if OP's monitor did have it, it will highly likely be limited to AMD GPUs.

Associate
Fair enough. I've only ever used DP for my main monitor, and never had an issue. Trying to connect my wife's laptop to the monitor for work shows up the limitations of HDMI (version dependent) sockets, as from memory it can only do 4k at 30fps.

Associate
OP
can say the Sapphire 6650xt is the quietest card I have ever owned.Before you guys say anything this is as far as my budget can stretch and i prefer having warranty over a second hand.

Back
Top Bottom