• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New GPU Which one?

Soldato
Just don't get the 4070ti. 12gb vram, 192bit bus and £800+! Bit of a joke really. I wouldn't call 6800xt for £600 a bargain either.

If your considering either the 7900xtx or the 4080 then I guess your happy spending around £1200 so ultimately its does you want the faster card with more vram or do you want better ray tracing?
Faster card it's the 7900xtx, RT then 4080

Last edited:
Associate
OP
In regards to RT does the 7900xtx not do this well or what? Also what is DLSs and FSR
The 4080 appears to run cooler than the 7900xtx and is less power. My psu is only Corsair RMX 750w

Suspended
Wouldn't be touching a 12Gb gpu@~£800.

As above, 79 is faster in non rt games only runs FSR as DLSS is proprietary to newer NV GPUs.

4080 is faster in rt games has complete access to FSR and the newest DLSS 3(FG) but has less vram.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
what is DLSs and FSR

My understanding is that (I think this is exclusive to DLSS 3?) it guesstimates the next frame (or rather the content of that frame) so that your graphics card doesn't have to, which improves performance, and/or (upscaling) it takes a lower resolution and makes it appear (using AI / algorithms, for sharpness 'n stuff) like a higher resolution. Hardware Unboxed has quite a few videos on it, like this one.

It has been all the rage for a few years now and support is pretty widespread for DLSS (nvidia) & FSR (AMD or others) at this point, with even some popular older games getting third party patches to add support. I believe NVIDIA have dedicated hardware on their cards which can be used for stuff like ray tracing and DLSS, which makes them generally superior, while AMD mostly use their existing hardware. I think Intel also have dedicated hardware for ray tracing and AI, which means they're just a bit behind NVIDIA, ahead of AMD.

Is 16gb VRAM enough for all current games or is it on the edge?

Someone had to... :o The "is 10GB enough for a 3080?" thread has 335 pages (and counting).

Soldato
No one has asked your budget yet. I'm going to assume it's pretty high.

If you want ray tracing as well as maxed out settings I'd fork out for the 4080 (as much as it pains me to recommend it due to the price). Potentially a 3080Ti or 3090 if it's substantially cheaper. I would not recommend the 3080, as the 10GB of VRAM is already starting to run into issues with some modern games.

If you're not bothered about ray tracing a previous gen 6800/6900xt would be very good value at the moment.

Associate
OP
No one has asked your budget yet. I'm going to assume it's pretty high.

If you want ray tracing as well as maxed out settings I'd fork out for the 4080 (as much as it pains me to recommend it due to the price). Potentially a 3080Ti or 3090 if it's substantially cheaper. I would not recommend the 3080, as the 10GB of VRAM is already starting to run into issues with some modern games.

If you're not bothered about ray tracing a previous gen 6800/6900xt would be very good value at the moment.
Rather not spend loads but wanting to future proof a bit too. Looking at how hogwarts is performing 4080 seems the way to go? Amd look to struggle with it. i do look the look of the 6800xt though but not sure will give me wow factor over 5700xt

Last edited:
Caporegime
i do look the look of the 6800xt though but not sure will give me wow factor over 5700xt
I don't know about a 'wow factor', but maybe. When I've read about various experiences on here, it seems that often, people have been rather pleased with the results.
I'm not sure roughly what the performance jump is, maybe about 45% - 50% at 1440p? Depends on the game(s).

Unfortunately, when trying not to spend too much cash but also aiming for longevity, it can become a little tricky for the two objectives to meet when/if you're not prepared to turn some settings down in certain games. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I don't know about a 'wow factor', but maybe. When I've read about various experiences on here, it seems that often, people have been rather pleased with the results.
I'm not sure roughly what the performance jump is, maybe about 45% - 50% at 1440p? Depends on the game(s).

Unfortunately, when trying not to spend too much cash but also aiming for longevity, it can become a little tricky for the two objectives to meet when/if you're not prepared to turn some settings down in certain games. :)
Indeed. Happy to pay out on 4080 if it will last couple years max settings. Having RyzenTM though wanted to stay team red lol. 7900xtx seems to week though in tests I have seen. Looks good on paper though.

Man of Honour
Cant find the site now. Been looking into RT and looks to make games appear so much nicer. is AMD really bad with RT or just not as good? Is the 6800xt RT any good?

They're roughly a tier down. If you take the 7900 XTX, with ray tracing off it can match the 4080, with ray tracing on it is more like a 4070 Ti. For the 6800 XT, it is around a 3080 with ray tracing off, but with ray tracing on closer to a 3070 / 3070 Ti.

Soldato
So i am leaning towards the 6800xt atm to last a year or so maybe for the price. Question is how much better the 6950xt is.

Current pricing of 6950xt (£850-950) is not worth it compared to the £600 6800xt available now. The difference is 10-15% at 4k depending on game and lower resolutions less. The best bang for buck is that card right now and at least it has 16GB VRAM too so if you decide to keep it longer it won't suddenly hit VRAM limits in the future.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom