• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Graphics Card advice

Soldato
Guys,

I've been out of the pc building game for a while. I've got my own built rig with an i5-3570 @3.4GHz with 8GB RAM but I feel my graphics card is the current bottle neck and I'm looking for advice on what you'd suggest I upgrade to.

I can't remember what I've got at the moment and Windows just tells me it's a Radeon R9 200.

I'm looking to play PUBG and at the moment it's playing 'OK' but would like to get the graphics a little better.

Any suggestions? (looking to pay around £200 max) happy to buy used or new.

Thanks,

Soldato
What resolution do you play at?
What PSU do you have?

My first guess would be to go second hand and get a GTX 970 or 780 Ti. Though I am not sure what the 1050 Ti or 1060 are like in comparison which are around £200 new. Probably not as good!

Edit - Yep, both the 780 Ti and 970 easily beat these new low end cards. I would get a 970 or 980 Ti if you can find one for £200 (and have a good enough PSU)

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys,

I've been out of the pc building game for a while. I've got my own built rig with an i5-3570 @3.4GHz with 8GB RAM but I feel my graphics card is the current bottle neck and I'm looking for advice on what you'd suggest I upgrade to.

I can't remember what I've got at the moment and Windows just tells me it's a Radeon R9 200.

I'm looking to play PUBG and at the moment it's playing 'OK' but would like to get the graphics a little better.

Any suggestions? (looking to pay around £200 max) happy to buy used or new.

Thanks,
Assuming thats a r9 290 I'm thinking your going to have to go 2nd hand to get any sort of improvement and even that may be a struggle at your budget. If its r9 270 etc then yes GTX 970 or better would be a good idea
You may well be best struggling on a bit longer and waiting to see if prices get a bit better

Permabanned
I definitely wouldn't go buying a Kepler card as while some games play well there's plenty of recent games where Kepler performance tanks, That's even more so if you have a 290 or 290x as the 780 & 780ti were their direct competitors when new and over the last few years the two AMD cards have gone from strength to strength often leaving the 2 Nvidia card's in the dust.

You need to know which card you have, as an example you're not going to get a worthwhile performance increase over a 290/290x with a £200 budget,

Prices have gone through the roof thanks to the mining craze. Even the 6gb 1060 and 8gb 480/580 which are each others direct competitor don't offer a worthwhile performance increase compared to a 290/290x or 390/390x.
Find out which card you have, If it's not a 290 or 290x you could look for a secondhand 480/580 or 1060 for a small visual/performance bump. I got my 8gb Powercolor 480 Red Devil for £180 on the OCUK Members Market so once you know what card you have you should sit back & watch the MM a couple of times a day for a week or so & something should turn up.

There's loads of Video's and Reviews on how the 780 & 780ti perform with today's games.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
thanks for all the replies guys. I think for now I'll just stick with what I've got as it seems to run fairly smoothly and as i said its OK just not fabulous.

I'll maybe reconsider in 6 - 9 months time!

Ta

Back
Top Bottom