New HD - Transfer without reinstallation?

Soldato
Hi folks,

this is probably a silly question so I apologize in advance, but in 10+ years of fooling around with PC gear I've never had to do this.

I've just bought a new faster/bigger Western digital HD. I've recently reinstalled xp on my old disk, along with all my games and apps. These days it takes forever, what with all the new service packs, dotnets, media players, 10 restarts etc.

Is there any way I can just clone my install to the new HD, then switch the cables and continue as normal?

Can it be done without buying more software like Norton Ghost?

Thanks,
B

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

It can be done but its probably best to re-install the operating system then drivers then updates then transfer all the files over.

As then you will have a shiney new os to play with.

Soldato
OP
zen62619 said:
It can be done but its probably best to re-install the operating system then drivers then updates then transfer all the files over.

As then you will have a shiney new os to play with.

Yup, but I just did that last week :) don't want to go through all that again :p
So how do you do it?

Associate
use a cloning program for disk to disk transfer such as gost or driveimage
these are pay for programs but there almost surely are freeware etc ones about there google it :D

Deleted member 58846

D

Deleted member 58846

bfar said:
Yup, but I just did that last week :) don't want to go through all that again :p
So how do you do it?

It doesn't take that long anyway. IMO its what I would be doing. As the people above said theres tools for it, yes seagate does have a drive clone you can use.

Associate
Do NOT reinstall!!!!

There is no need at all, no really, there is no need EVER for just changing a hard drive at least.

Be careful though if your new drive is SATA and the old one is IDE, make sure you have your SATA drivers installed before the clone or your computer won't boot ;)

To you other people, I have no idea why you would reinstall windows instead of cloneing the drive? If its a graphics card\mobo then yes, but doing so for a hard drive is just silly, anyway, you know now and prolly think i'm rude and arrogant for telling you as much :)

Associate
Acronis Trueimage is superb for this sort of thing, its an absolute doddle to do, you create a bootable CD when you install the program (automatic) boot of it click a couple of buttons and its done.

Its not free though :)

Do a search for "Hirems Boot CD".

Associate
Yeah it is warez.....I'm surprised I only found out the other day. Still its a damn fine CD and is updated often.

Its not like your a business profiteering off it, I'm sure for personal use nobody is going to mind.

Back
Top Bottom