New home networking help

Hey all,
Following a recent thread on picking an internet provider, I went with Hyperoptic 500mb and have since moved home.
I have the regular Hyperoptic router. I did not pay the additional £7 per month for the mesh add-on.
My previous home was Ethernet wired, but this one is sadly not.
I have had a read of similar threads and wonder if there is a particular solution to my situation.

My PCIE wireless AC card has decided to die, so I have bought a TP link AC1300 high gain USB stick to tide me over whilst I decide what to do long term.
The router is under the stairs. I cannot connect via AC due to a weak signal. The wireless n is pretty poor and I am getting speeds of around 80megabits with occasional drop-outs.

Homeplugs have been great in the past for me. I could buy one of those and resolve the issue. I have been told by many people that these days Wifi>homeplugs.
I could get in contact with Hyperoptic since I am in my 14 day period for a couple more days and ask for their mesh.
Buy a new mesh system - I am not sure if this replaces the router too? They can get pricey easily!

Looking for general guidance really! I am a keen gamer so need a solid connection.

EDIT: Possibly TP-Link TP-Link Deco S4 AC1200?

Last edited:
My router and PC are on opposite corners of the house and different floors so I find WiFi is OK as a backup but it is pretty unstable for Teams or ping sensitive games (WiFi 5 or ac depending on how you want to refer to it).

I use powerline as both rooms are on the same mains circuit; not had to look at mesh or new routers.

If you are looking at powerline then I'd recommend you check the locations are on the same circuit first.

Linksys Atlas Pro 6 AX5400 mesh wifi which is readily available for around £40 single unit or 3 for £110 on a auction site.

Back
Top Bottom