New Hosting Recommendation

Man of Honour
My web/email hosting requirements aren't great. All I ask for is reliability and a degree of responsiveness from support.

I've been with my current hosting firm for more than a decade and they used to be rock solid. But in the last couple of years they have been steadily going downhill. And this week, email accounts/hosting is unusable. Time for a change.

Needs aren't great. One small brochure website hosting plus several (about 9) parked domains with offsite redirection and, for most of them, email accounts.

Recommendations please

Soldato
I use Clook for php sites and Catalyst2 for Microsoft sites. They have both been pretty good in terms of uptime and support. Clook is my favourite.

Associate
I would put the email on Google Workspace or Office365 on their basic monthly package then use Krystal.uk for the hosting, either Amethyst or Ruby.

Soldato
There's not really any real need to split your mail when you use Krystal as an example because they use MailChannels which almost eradicates the mail deliverability issues that can come hand in hand with shared hosting.

Go with a provider that uses cPanel and you'll have an easier time to lift and move in the future if you ever need to.

Krystal are top tier though, you can't go wrong there - unsure on their parked domain restrictions but the £5/month plan should be more than enough.
Other couple of options are Guru + GNU-Host (also use MailChannels and I know offer good service + performance in the same bracket).

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
...but always found tsohost good
I used to say that, I've recommended them in the past. Guess who I'm running away from now.

There's not really any real need to split your mail when you use Krystal as an example because they use MailChannels which almost eradicates the mail deliverability issues that can come hand in hand with shared hosting.

Go with a provider that uses cPanel and you'll have an easier time to lift and move in the future if you ever need to.

Krystal are top tier though, you can't go wrong there - unsure on their parked domain restrictions but the £5/month plan should be more than enough.
Other couple of options are Guru + GNU-Host (also use MailChannels and I know offer good service + performance in the same bracket).
Thank you. I'll look at Krystal.

and thanks guys for the replies.

Soldato
depending on traffic you could use AWS, but always found tsohost good

Nope, i would avoid Tsohost at all costs; they've become gradually worse over the last 3/4 years and they're now pretty hopeless, especially if you need support.

I would look at Stablepoint, they seem pretty solid from what i've experienced so far and ran by a few from the original TsoHost crew.

Soldato
Tsohost fell off a cliff when they were bought out. Shame they were well priced for what they offered. Prices increased and service quality decreased :(.

Krystal, Stablepoint and Allhost have been serving me well so far.

Man of Honour
OP
Tsohost fell off a cliff when they were bought out. Shame they were well priced for what they offered. Prices increased and service quality decreased :(.

Krystal, Stablepoint and Allhost have been serving me well so far.

Agreed. TSOhost have been taken the proverbial of late. Migrated most to Krystal, some work still to do but so far, so good. This is how I felt when I switched to TSOhost back in 2004 :) but they've just caused pain in recent times :confused:

Soldato
TSOHost used to be owned and run by a member of these forums who sold out. Like, i guess, so many of us would have done too if the money was right. It's been going MH370 for a long time now. Sad really.

My issue is I need to register a .ltd domain and I don't think I can do that (or the subsequent hosting) with Krystal for example.

Soldato
TSOHost used to be owned and run by a member of these forums who sold out. Like, i guess, so many of us would have done too if the money was right. It's been going MH370 for a long time now. Sad really.

My issue is I need to register a .ltd domain and I don't think I can do that (or the subsequent hosting) with Krystal for example.

You can register a .ltd with Porkbun who are very good for domains and usually at the lowest rates possible - https://porkbun.com/

You should be able to point any TLD to Krystal under "Existing Domain" in their order form or as an Alias/Parked/Addon in cPanel. There's no configuration limitation that prevents certain TLDs from being hosted on their platforms.

Associate
I've got a windows package with Ionos since they were 1&1 and it only costs me £5/month for unlimited web storage, a high number of Mysql & SQL Server databases and 100 (or more) 2gb mailboxes. Two .co.uk domains with them adds about £10 every March, but I've attached both domains to the windows host for the mailboxes.

For actual web hosting I use Heroku which is £5/month for a "hobby" plan which is likely more than enough for a brochure site. If I was hosting a simple site though, I'd stick it on my Ionos host - I host my own Umbraco site on it with no issues.

My only qualm with Ionos is that their databases can't be access outside Ionos, so I can't use them from other hosts, or even connect from my local for db management.

Back
Top Bottom