New htpc

Soldato
Hi all,

Just wondering what your thoughts were on this...

I would like to build a smaller, itx based system. Is it worth sticking with my i7 860 or starting again?

current system -
i7 860
asus P7P55D mobo
4GB DDR3
8800GT
corsair vx450

At the moment I'd like to use a smaller machine as a media center and for occasional gaming. (nothing too taxing)

I think my options could be...

Option 1 - stick to socket 1156, and buy an itx motherboard and case. Possible problem - no integrated graphics and my graphics card probably wont fit (i'd like a thinner case rather than a 'cube' case) and I will also have to buy a smaller single slot card.

Option 2 - new haswell itx mobo and processor with integrated graphics. Ditch all the old kit, and see how I get on with it all. If i need more graphics power I can always add a card.

Any alternatives, and any recommendations?

I'd like to keep the case and mobo+processor (and possible graphics) under £300 and a 120GB SSD would be nice too.

I like the look of this case:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-209-AN&groupid=2362&catid=2279

Associate
Its all gonna come down to what games you're talking about?

I was using an old q6600/hd5770 etc in a massive gaming tower, mass amounts of fans etc.

Then when OCuk had their mad "Black Friday" deals over that week, went and made a smaller sleeker up to date system

Intel Core i3-4130
Silverstone Milo ML03
4gb Ram

Its used for Media/storage/etc.

Games wise I've only put Hearthstone on it and Thats fine.

Back
Top Bottom