New i9 build ram question

Associate
Hey all! Been a while but I'm back baby.

So I'm upgrading to ddr4. Been given an Asus maximus xi and I'm going to buy the Intel i9 at some point. I have two questions.

1. The mobo natively supports ram speeds of up to 2666mhz and upto 4400mhz with over clocking. So should I buy 2666 then overclock them to 4400, or buy something slightly higher. I understand cas timings *slightly* but not to a degree where I can work out the best combination confidently.

2. I'm normally always buying corsair doms, but on this occasion I'd like some feedback to what's currently popular with regards to speed and rgb aesthetics. I have been looking at G.skill trident rgbs, team group vulcans and maybe corsair again.

Thanks in advance for any replies

Gj

Associate
Go G skill trident the fastest you can afford if you wanting rgb and decent speeds

If non rgb then 8 pac 3600 just brought some and their great

I have avoided corsair for some time now ever since getting sucked into buying that ram cooler. What a waste of money that was.

Ended up in the bin and also the memory sucked at overclocking

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply, I must admit the G.skill tridents are tempting me. I guess I will keep an eye on any offers I see around.

I think I've at least two of those corsair coolers ;)

Associate
OP
I've been looking at the available G.skill trident z and have noticed some differences with CL timings.

One pair of 3600MHz had CL18 timings and another had apparently 'new' xmp timings of cl16.

I should be aiming for the CL16s right?

Already have the Asus maximus formula extreme, going to buy the i9990k, 16GB of ram and a m.2 Samsung evo pro 1tb for new build. Please any suggestions on the build are very welcome.

Permabanned
3600MHz is perfect for 99% of situations, always buy ram with the lowest timing you can(within reason)

CL18 is a bit of a joke i would not be paying premium price for ram with CL18 timings.
CL16 i a good place to be, dont go silly buying stupid priced ram because of super low timings. most of the time the only difference is a few point in benchmarks.

Soldato
3600MHz is perfect for 99% of situations, always buy ram with the lowest timing you can(within reason)

CL18 is a bit of a joke i would not be paying premium price for ram with CL18 timings.
CL16 i a good place to be, dont go silly buying stupid priced ram because of super low timings. most of the time the only difference is a few point in benchmarks.

This post is at odds with itself, in one line you are claiming CAS latency 18 is a joke, in the next you claim it's not worth looking for kits with lower CAS. Timings and frequency are intrinsically related. Moreover, it's often possible to lower primary timings as GSKILL hand binning results in a large amount of guardband in place.

If looking for Plug&Play on this platform 3600MHz is more ideal, higher than this can often require user input. 4 DIMM kits are preferable for overclocking on the Maximus line due to the T-Topology layout. Speeds above 4133 will require a more than reasonable IMC, too.

Permabanned
in one line you are claiming CAS latency 18 is a joke, in the next you claim it's not worth looking for kits with lower CAS

What I am meaning to say is cl18 is what you get with super cheap budget ass ram. The better kits start at cl16 and there still very cheap.

I would not pay silly money for lower kits like the cl15/14 kits because the gain in performance is massively outweighed by the bump in cost.

Back
Top Bottom