new ipad time - soo confusing

Soldato
looking to upgrade my now struggling 1st gen ipad mini,

only things i need are cellular as i use it out and about
GPS as it gets used for nav
any anything thats a bit more powerful than my current first gen which i'd imagine everything current will be by a factor of 2 or 3.

problem i have i quite fancy something a bit bigger than my current mini and i dont want to go the expense of a pro but what is the difference between an ipad and and ipad air.

to me they both look pretty much exactly the same (screen size within 1/2 inch and spec wise doesnt seem that much of a difference.

anyone offer a brieft synopsis on which ones better of the 2 ipad air or ipad ?

Soldato
iPad has a lower quality display (worse colour accuracy, not laminated so worse reflections)

iPad has a slower processor (only really an issue for content creation and some games)

iPad has quieter speakers

iPad has less storage as standard

Soldato
OP
so ipad air is the better option then

i presume a cellular model has all the gps functionality of my old mini and a iphone?

Soldato
I’ve just bought the new iPad Air. It’s brilliant.

It’s right bang I’m the middle between the iPad and iPad Pro.

I’m really pleased with it, and there is a big difference between it and the cheaper one.

Soldato
I do agree. It’s hard not to love the cheaper model and it’s perfect for my parents, but anyone on a forum like this will appreciate the Air a lot more

Associate
The new Air looks great, definitely worth the extra over the basic model.

I’ll probably be upgrading my trusty Air 2 next year as I doubt it will get the next release of iOS. It’s still running well though. Can’t believe how many years I’ve had it!

Soldato
The new iPad Air is basically an updated 10.5” iPad Pro. This is your best bet for good cellular performance as it has the adaptive antenna technology fitted to iPhones.

The 5th generation iPad Mini is a huge performance upgrade over the 4th generation model, going from A8 internals (iPhone 6) to A12 (iPhone XS/XR).

The current iPad (7th Gen) is the oldest in terms of technology, having iPhone 8 internals and the original iPad 2 antenna system. I have a WiFi only version of this and it suits me just fine for browsing and casual gaming.

Back
Top Bottom