New job. But now I feel guilty.

Soldato
Basically I work for a charity that delivers training courses to a variety of clients of all ages and abilities. They have been really good to me over the last four years and are constantly praising me. They gave me a break in a difficult time in my life.

Unfortunately they have been thoroughly shafted by New Labour over the last three years having money clawed back and loss of contracts etc. My pay is now well below the average for what I do and no one has had a pay review in three years. I also escaped redundancy last year even though a large proportion on my job disappeared.

I have had a little look around and been approached by a few companies offering me work, up till now I have turned it down. Anyway earlier this week I had a call from a competitor asking if I would have a meeting with them. The long and short of it is they want me to do a teaching job for them. The role would be a promotion with great prospects, private health, pension and a 30% pay increase. I have jumped at the chance of course.

I know I have done the right thing for myself but feel really guilty about my present emoployer. They have become far too reliant on me which has worried me for some time. I am on leave until the term starts on the 4th September but I am dreading going in. If it was a large multi national it would not be so bad but a charity really makes me feel the guilt.

Permabanned
Stop being such a woman.

Enjoy your new job and spend the extra 30% on material posessions. They'll assuage the guilt.

*n

Associate
If your current job was still OK and you were earning good money, had good career progression etc but you were walking away for better money then you might have something to feel guilty about.
They helped you out at a difficult time, but you have given them four years of your service in return.
Leave on good terms and enjoy your new job :)

Permabanned
It is a hard one. I would feel guilty too I expect, but at the end of the day you do have to do what's right for yourself :) I expect/hope you have told the charity that you will be leaving, so they have at least some time to find your successor.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Third Opinion said:
...... If it was a large multi national it would not be so bad but a charity really makes me feel the guilt.
They gave you a chance when you needed it, and you've given them four years of loyal service. Seems like a fair deal to me.

There comes a time, though, when you have to put personal needs on some kind of priority. I'm sure they'll understand why you need to do this, and be delighted for you, even if it causes them some inconvenience.

Good luck in the new job.

Caporegime
Sequoia said:
They gave you a chance when you needed it, and you've given them four years of loyal service. Seems like a fair deal to me.

There comes a time, though, when you have to put personal needs on some kind of priority. I'm sure they'll understand why you need to do this, and be delighted for you, even if it causes them some inconvenience.

Good luck in the new job.

agreed, same argument from me about the job im leaving, they have paid loads in terms of training for me, but i have given them 6 years of my time.

if you were to have that chance then move onto better straight away, then i could understand the guilt. but as you have been there plenty of time, they would no doubt be happy for you.

Back
Top Bottom