New Job + long commute

Soldato
I have been offered a graduate position at a large multi national company, but am having second thoughts whether to accept it. The money is excellant, the benefits are very good, and it seems like a decent company to work for. However, I have recieved my contract and my hours are 8.00am to 5.30pm.

This wouldn't be a problem, however the commute is really putting me off. I would have to leave the house at 6am to get the 6.15am train. This only takes about an hour so I would get into work at about 7.20 which leaves me with 40 minutes to waste. The train after leaves at 6.55am but gets in at 8.01am which is would make me late for work.

In all honesty, i'm questioning whether I can do this and still perform well in work. I don't want to take the job, be trained (lasts a month) and then have to leave if its too much. I would be up at 5.20am'ish and wouldn't get home until gone 7pm. I'm just not sure what to do, its a great oppurtunity but im not sure if I should carry on looking for a different position.

What is everyone elses commute like?

Man of Honour
40 mins at this time of year each way, about twice as long when the schools go back. 35 mile drive into and out of York, but not anywhere near the city centre.

I hate it.
Been doing it 20 months though.

Permabanned
Adam said:
I have been offered a graduate position at a large multi national company, but am having second thoughts whether to accept it. The money is excellant, the benefits are very good, and it seems like a decent company to work for. However, I have recieved my contract and my hours are 8.00am to 5.30pm.

This wouldn't be a problem, however the commute is really putting me off. I would have to leave the house at 6am to get the 6.15am train. This only takes about an hour so I would get into work at about 7.20 which leaves me with 40 minutes to waste. The train after leaves at 6.55am but gets in at 8.01am which is would make me late for work.

In all honesty, i'm questioning whether I can do this and still perform well in work. I don't want to take the job, be trained (lasts a month) and then have to leave if its too much. I would be up at 5.20am'ish and wouldn't get home until gone 7pm. I'm just not sure what to do, its a great oppurtunity but im not sure if I should carry on looking for a different position.

What is everyone elses commute like?

Why dont you contact them and ask how flexible they are?

What sort of work is it? Most graduate type jobs arent the sort where timekeeping is the highest priority.

Associate
speak to management - tell them your situation - they may allow you to start at ten past as long as you work through lunch for ten minutes or work ten minutes later. you could ask if they will help with relocation costs also.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Sounds awful, does this job mean enough to you to devote 12 hours+ of every day of your life to it?

Soldato
OP
I don't want to start with a bad first impression. Ringing up asking to come in 10 minutes late and them saying no then deciding to work there anyway might not go down too well. If I could get the later train I would be all for it and there would not be any doubt in my mind. I may sound like a typical student but getting up at that time for such a long day in a job which will involve a lot of pressure will undoubtedly have an impact on my work.

My mum suggested that I gave it a go for at least the training phase to see how it goes and then raise the issue if I am struggling. I'm nervous enough about starting work, let alone having this to worry about as well :(

Man of Honour
My advice is (thinking about it) to go in on the earlier train like yer mum says. See how you get on - try and forget about the time you'll be wasting/not sleeping and perform as well as you can.

If you impress them they might be more flexible on you coming in/going home a little later.

If you think your performance is suffering as a result, let them know. They can only say no. If they do **** em and move on.

Soldato
OP
Jez said:
Sounds awful, does this job mean enough to you to devote 12 hours+ of every day of your life to it?

I'm not sure. It really is a fantastic oppurtunity and I am not quite sure how I managed to land such a job, it has all happened so quickly. I have had 2 interviews since last Wednesday and I am meant to be starting on Friday! I am prepared to give and take a bit, this job will mean not seeing my friends or girlfriend at all during the week etc - more so if I am having to go to bed as soon as I come in :p

Permabanned
Adam said:
I don't want to start with a bad first impression. Ringing up asking to come in 10 minutes late and them saying no then deciding to work there anyway might not go down too well. If I could get the later train I would be all for it and there would not be any doubt in my mind. I may sound like a typical student but getting up at that time for such a long day in a job which will involve a lot of pressure will undoubtedly have an impact on my work.

My mum suggested that I gave it a go for at least the training phase to see how it goes and then raise the issue if I am struggling. I'm nervous enough about starting work, let alone having this to worry about as well :(

What sort of job is it?

The requirement for being in at 8 on the dot is probably quite important if you're on a till at Tescos, but less so if you're developing software....

Soldato
It might not be that bad once you get used to it.

Alternatively, get a car which might shorten travel times?

Or, as suggested, after the initial training, have a chat with HR and see whether you can trade 15 mins at the start of the day for 15 mins at the end.

Soldato
You get used to it after a week or so. I do a similar commute (0645 - 0815 door to door).

I recommend you explain your circumstances to your employer and see if it would be acceptable to come in at 0815 every morning. Failing that, ask your boss (if the two aren't the same).

Soldato
Currently its about 10mins from the outskirts of brighton to hove.

I used to have to travel to East Grinstead everyday which is 25miles but took an hour driving, i began to start enjoying it as it was time to wake up in the morning and time to chill on the way back.

Associate
Most companies these days are quite flexibile when it comes to staff working hours, I reckon. About day 3 on my new job, I asked it could come in at 9am instead of 8.30am but work half an hour later in the evenings. It was fine! No problem at all.

So, if you are starting at say 7.30am instead of 8am, they might let you go at 5pm instead of 5.30pm. Whether this is beneficial or not due to your train times is another matter...

Soldato
OP
Visage said:
What sort of job is it?

The requirement for being in at 8 on the dot is probably quite important if you're on a till at Tescos, but less so if you're developing software....

The job title is a consultant within a financial research firm. It was mentioned during the interview that training may be 8.30am - 5.30am but there was no mention of starting at 8am.

Driving isn't an option unfortunately as the position is within central london. Living in a small town served by a branch line doesn't help matters. If I were to drive 20 mins to a bigger station I would save about 10 mins which isn't worth it with petrol and parking costs.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for excuses not to work. I really do want to. I just don't want to struggle through lack of energy or concentration which would be down to such a ridiculously long day.

The biggest frustration comes with the later train just being 1 minute late into the station, it's only 2 minutes around the corner so I would be 5-10 minutes late maximum!

Associate
I used to have to get the train to school, most days were 0645 - 1715.

you do get used to it after a while, and you never know you might meet someone on the train, after about a year there was a good group of people that used to chat, you do see them every day after all :)

Permabanned
Adam said:
The job title is a consultant within a financial research firm. It was mentioned during the interview that training may be 8.30am - 5.30am but there was no mention of starting at 8am.

Driving isn't an option unfortunately as the position is within central london. Living in a small town served by a branch line doesn't help matters. If I were to drive 20 mins to a bigger station I would save about 10 mins which isn't worth it with petrol and parking costs.

Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for excuses not to work. I really do want to. I just don't want to struggle through lack of energy or concentration which would be down to such a ridiculously long day.

The biggest frustration comes with the later train just being 1 minute late into the station, it's only 2 minutes around the corner so I would be 5-10 minutes late maximum!

To be honest, it doesnt sound like the sort of job where the world will end if you start at 8.10 rather than 8.00. Phone them up and ask.

Soldato
I would get the earlier train. The later train would mean you being late and probably by more than the 1 minute you've said as that would only be true as long as the train was on time and stayed on time. I wouldn't ask if you can start later every day as you're only just starting there and want to make a good impression. I think you need to decide what you want. It sounds like a good opportunity and they don't come along every day. Maybe after working there for a few months you could ask about starting slightly later and it would be more likely for them to agree and not think any less of you. Alternatively you might find that it's not so bad after all, I think a fair few people have long commutes every day.

Permabanned
Welcome to the wonderfull world of commuting. If your being offered a good job with a good salary, you want to seriously turn it down because it involves getting up early?

Trust me you get used to it. I thought leaving at 6:30am and not getting back till gone 9pm would bother me, it doesn't anymore...

Back
Top Bottom