New Job + long commute

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Mr Nice said:
Trust me you get used to it. I thought leaving at 6:30am and not getting back till gone 9pm would bother me, it doesn't anymore...

I will never understand how any job can be as thrilling as to keep someone away from their friends/family/home for this long each day.

Dont get me wrong, i am not trying to have a pop, but seriously, thats devotion :eek:

Permabanned
Jez said:
I will never understand how any job can be as thrilling as to keep someone away from their friends/family/home for this long each day.

Dont get me wrong, i am not trying to have a pop, but seriously, thats devotion :eek:

It is hard, won't deny that, but a few years of this my mortgage will be paid off, sizeable wedge in the bank and then enjoy life.......

Plus by then I'd be promoted so less work, more delegation....

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Adam - chances are your company are not going to be a bunch of ogres.

What I would advise is get the earlier train the first day and then explain your situation to your boss. Say that you are happy to continue getting the earlier train but would he mind if you arrived slightly later but worked up the time at lunch / end of the day to make up for it.

I would be very surprised if they are not flexible.

Chill out and relax - it sounds like a hell of an opportunity so just take things one day at a time. I take it you have no commitments or resonsibilities so if it all goes pete tong its no biggy.

Soldato
OP
Bar said:
Adam - chances are your company are not going to be a bunch of ogres.

What I would advise is get the earlier train the first day and then explain your situation to your boss. Say that you are happy to continue getting the earlier train but would he mind if you arrived slightly later but worked up the time at lunch / end of the day to make up for it.

I would be very surprised if they are not flexible.

Chill out and relax - it sounds like a hell of an opportunity so just take things one day at a time. I take it you have no commitments or resonsibilities so if it all goes pete tong its no biggy.

I won't go into too much details, but the pay is the big attraction. Well beyond average for a graduate and my degree itself is average at best despite doing quite well.

It may be a fear of failure or letting people down which is working me up the most. I want to make a good impression and do well :)

Thanks for the comments everyone, if I didn't go for it I think I would always regret it. Fingers crossed :)

Soldato
Adam said:
What is everyone elses commute like?

Longest I have had was 1.5 hours either side, waking up at about 6.30 and coming home about 7. The job wasn't especially well paid but it was by far, far, far the most fun and productive job I have had. Couldn't have a career in it, but it was a brilliant experience.

Caporegime
Its easy to catch up on sleep. A lot more difficult to catch up with your career. Go for it I say.

My mate does similar 7 am > 7pm days 2hour each way commute but its worth it to him as it's a massive company and the ideal start to his consultation career.

What else would you be doing? Sat on the net surfing forums no doubt? :)

Caporegime
To me this seems pretty normal.

You have to put yourself out for a few years, no big deal. They will fly by.
Then when you command a bit of respect you ask to change your hours if possible, think about moving closer or even be transfered to another area.

Soldato
Adam said:
I have been offered a graduate position at a large multi national company, but am having second thoughts whether to accept it. The money is excellant, the benefits are very good, and it seems like a decent company to work for. However, I have recieved my contract and my hours are 8.00am to 5.30pm.

This wouldn't be a problem, however the commute is really putting me off. I would have to leave the house at 6am to get the 6.15am train. This only takes about an hour so I would get into work at about 7.20 which leaves me with 40 minutes to waste. The train after leaves at 6.55am but gets in at 8.01am which is would make me late for work.

In all honesty, i'm questioning whether I can do this and still perform well in work. I don't want to take the job, be trained (lasts a month) and then have to leave if its too much. I would be up at 5.20am'ish and wouldn't get home until gone 7pm. I'm just not sure what to do, its a great oppurtunity but im not sure if I should carry on looking for a different position.

I am in a similar situation. My job is moving to Coventry from Derby in October. Faced with either redundancy (again) or move with them to Coventry. I have accepted the move and extra cash to cover travelling expenses but the travelling involved, whilst not that far, is time consuming and will perhaps make me tired and may affect my performance.

The way I look at it is, if I don't give it a go i'll have to look for another job now. Giving it a go will give me more time to look for another job, and I may find the travelling not so bad after all.

The lesser of two evils.

Having a job but having to travel a long way Vs having no job at all.

Soldato
Adam said:
I have been offered a graduate position at a large multi national company, but am having second thoughts whether to accept it. The money is excellant, the benefits are very good, and it seems like a decent company to work for. However, I have recieved my contract and my hours are 8.00am to 5.30pm.

This wouldn't be a problem, however the commute is really putting me off. I would have to leave the house at 6am to get the 6.15am train. This only takes about an hour so I would get into work at about 7.20 which leaves me with 40 minutes to waste. The train after leaves at 6.55am but gets in at 8.01am which is would make me late for work.

In all honesty, i'm questioning whether I can do this and still perform well in work. I don't want to take the job, be trained (lasts a month) and then have to leave if its too much. I would be up at 5.20am'ish and wouldn't get home until gone 7pm. I'm just not sure what to do, its a great oppurtunity but im not sure if I should carry on looking for a different position.

Hey,

Yeah just ask if you can start slightly later. Make sure you explain the situation. Am sure they'll be more than happy to help you out.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the pay like? Trying to get a rough idea of graduate salaries. :)

Soldato
OP
I would rather not disclose the company or pay.

Anyway, I called up today to ask what time they wanted to see me and it turns out I had completely overlooked the fact that I start on the 25th September not this month. Throughout the interview they said they were looking for an early september start and I was also told the 25th without being told a month when I was offered the job, so I just assumed I was starting in August. Can't believe it, 5 people have read through the documentation and no one else spotted it. Got another month to get used to it anyway, was really nervous and scared prior to this.

Soldato
Bah, just move to London, flatshare, and have some fun! :cool:

But if you persist on commuting :)p) then you'll get used to the early start in no time, you just have to go to bed a bit earlier, or get used to coffees/red bulls on the way to work :D

And finally, congrats on the job offer!

Associate
I'm going to take any job I get when (if) I graduate...although I feel for your situation. Over the past year i've been coming to realise a lot of things about life etc... and I don't want to waste a lot of it on work I will no doubt not enjoy.

Watch the movie "Click", you'll see what i'm on about

Associate
Just to put in my two pence...

The contract may say 8am-5:30pm, but be prepared after training for the hours to be longer. The words "finance" and "working contracted hours" are generally mutually exclusive.

If you enjoy the job, the time will fly by though, and the salaries are worth it.

sung

Soldato
40 minutes each way here...

Dont really bother me

The amount i spend on petrol bothers me more than the commute..I start at 9, get up at quarter to 8, leave at 8:10 and im more or less there with 5-10 minutes to spare..

Soldato
Adam said:
Don't get me wrong, I am not looking for excuses not to work. I really do want to. I just don't want to struggle through lack of energy or concentration which would be down to such a ridiculously long day.

I don't see the problem. One train leaves 40 mins earlier and this will affect your energy and concentration levels?

Get out of bed and do the right thing ;)

Back
Top Bottom