New Keyboard Help!

Associate
Before I start I am currently using a mechanical with knock off blue switches that I picked up for £25.

Just bought a new mouse (Logitech G Pro) and love it so was looking at staying Logitech however I dont like all the negativity surrounding the Romer switches feeling squishy etc.
I have always liked the hyperX alloy and the Corsairs but looking at reddit posts (mainly state side) they all say go for Ducky, CoolerMaster or iKBC, do many people use these brands in the UK?

I "think" I am set on MX Brown switches although have'nt had a chance to try as not many local pc shops but I like that tactile bump of the blues but not keen on the clicky.
Don't really have a budget so any suggestions/help would be good. I know this is quite vague but I am pulling my hair out trying to decide ha!

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think it would be between the Ducky or iKBC for me, both of which OcUK sell with brown switches.

I'm trying to decide between these 2 as well.

Ducky is more expensive, but the legends look better. On the iKBC some legends have gaps which looks odd. The Ducky has some weird key placements for special characters and some extra non-standard ones, I thought it was UK but I'm not sure on that. The iKBC has some side printed legends that you may not like for the onboard controls for lighting.

Both have good quality PBT keycaps and decent RGB lighting. I think personally I'm leaning towards the iKBC.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £254.88 (includes shipping: £9.90)

Soldato
I "think" I am set on MX Brown switches although have'nt had a chance to try as not many local pc shops but I like that tactile bump of the blues but not keen on the clicky.
While better than MX Red's no clear resistance before actuation, MX Brown's tactile bumb is rather light compared to MX Blue:
Both 50% lighter in force over preceeding linear curve portion and same amount "narrower":
https://i.stack.imgur.com/QkAhhm.png
That's why some "hard tactility" lovers don't consider it as that tactile.

Actually Romer-G's has more of pre-actuation resistance than MX Brown...
Just without initial low resistance travel because of shorter travel.
MX Brown has nearly 1mm (Blue more) of light linear force travel before getting to that tactile part.
Romer-G pretty much cuts that "loose" away, with bump starting in practise instantly.

That makes it certainly different, but that negativeness is likely from lovers of no feel light linear switches.
Before Romer-G I used MX Brown nearly five years and while initially feeling weird, after ten days that was over.
And there certainly isn't going back from lower softer noise of damped Romer-G to sharp rattling "clickety clacketyness" of MX Brown:
While MX Brown doesn't have that extra sound effect of Blue, switch stem still hits hard to bottom of switch housing and then to "roof"/top of it.
So unless both pressing and releasing key softly MX makes sharp noise.

That's reason why mechanical switches make such sharp noise compared to membrane/rubber dome keyboards:
Rubber dome itself dampens bottoming and also makes rise to top position softer.

So you should really try to find place to test different switches.

Associate
I was doing the same research a couple of months ago.
The main reason the mechanical keyboard reddit recommend Coolermaster, Ducky and ikbc over more 'gamer' brands is that they use standard size keycaps so it's trivial to source custom replacements.

My core requirement was for dedicated volume keys which narrowed my search considerably, and like LiE, I ended up narrowing it down to the Ducky One and iKBC - albeit the Full size rather than tenkeyless.

Bought the iKBC F108 with MX Brown switches in the end and love it

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I was doing the same research a couple of months ago.
The main reason the mechanical keyboard reddit recommend Coolermaster, Ducky and ikbc over more 'gamer' brands is that they use standard size keycaps so it's trivial to source custom replacements.

My core requirement was for dedicated volume keys which narrowed my search considerably, and like LiE, I ended up narrowing it down to the Ducky One and iKBC - albeit the Full size rather than tenkeyless.

Bought the iKBC F108 with MX Brown switches in the end and love it

Does the F108 have dedicated volume keys vs the F87?

OcUK Staff
Another one to throw into the mix with dedicated volume controls. No lighting on this one if you wanted a less flashy look. These should be landing within a week or so.

Das Keyboard Root Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Cherry MX Brown Switches UK Layout @ £129.95 inc VAT https://www.overclockers.co.uk/detail/index/sArticle/75768

Das Keyboard Root Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, Cherry MX Brown Switches, UK Layout, Dedicated media control with oversized volume knob, 2-Port USB 2.0 hub, DKPKDK4P0MNS0UKX

Only £129.95 inc VAT.

ORDER NOW

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Just to update the OP, I finally made a decision on my keyboard. I decided I needed a couple things for this new keyboard:

- TKL (need to get that mouse closer for a better shoulder position) and need dedicated arrows.
- Media controls
- Needs to be UK ISO
- PBT keycaps, preferably white/light grey to reduce oil shine.
- Back lit, doesn't need to be RGB.
- Cherry MX Brown switches

I settled on Varmilo VA88M CMYK Standard Edition which I picked up £117 inc del.

This keyboard ticks all the boxes. I'll probably eventually change the key caps if I can find a decent set of UK ISO, but they are pretty nice to start with.

(image is ANSI)

xKoJff9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom