New laptop advice

Associate
I am looking at getting a laptop to use when away from my pc. Weight isn't an issue and I would like a big screen. I would use Microsoft Office and the internet but otherwise just gaming, Mainly strategy games.

No real budget but don't really want to go over £2-2.5k and under would be better. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Soldato
Have you seen the Alienware range? The 17' with the GTX 1080 looks a cracker.

EDIT- heard that there's issues with the Alienware models. I was looking for one but will wait for the problems to be resolved.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Vargas. I did have a look at the 17 and the 1080 with the SSD looks good. I didn't know about the issues which is interesting as I always thought Dell to be a solid brand.

I have seen people mention the Aorus laptops and several of those look decent. Would you recommend forking out for a 1080 over the 1070?

Soldato
Hi Vargas. I did have a look at the 17 and the 1080 with the SSD looks good. I didn't know about the issues which is interesting as I always thought Dell to be a solid brand.

I have seen people mention the Aorus laptops and several of those look decent. Would you recommend forking out for a 1080 over the 1070?

Not sure mate, it's a lot more expensive than the 1070.

Associate
It may just be a product of people only posting bad experiences whilst those with no issues are too busy using their machines to take the time to praise them but there would appear to big considerable issues with build quality in the alienware and MSI machines according to the various forums ive seen. I'm just not convinced that the quality control is where it should be with these two brands and my advice would be to look at other options. Its not unheard of to see people on their 3rd or 4th machine in some instances - whether they are super picky or plain unlucky matters little, if you're forking out £2500+ on a laptop you shouldnt expect to get too many problems.

I'll be getting an Aorus v7 most likely when they are released for what its worth.

Edit: Just thought I'd follow up with my experience of alienware laptops. I've had 3, two m14x's (r1 and r2) and a m17xr3. The m14xr1 was good until the mainboard gpu started artifacting, had a lt of use from it up til then and was ready for an upgrade so wasn't a major issue for me but perhaps should've lasted longer. The m17xr3 came with gtx580m card that failed and was a well known issue with that particular gpu, I did a replacement upgrade myself to a gtx780m and it still works but I can't get it to work on battery alone despite replacing the battery. It now runs my Kodi tv and little else. My m14xr2 has been faultless and is still my current machine when i'm away. I'm doing some more CAD and CAM so require a larger display than 14" and could really use some more gpu horsepower than the gtx765m that it is equipped with. I have no personal experience of MSI laptops, but a bit of googling will tell you a lot about their customer service.

Last edited:
Associate
The one saving grace of alienware is dells next day warranty.
I've gone for an alienware 17 with the 1080, it should be arriving tomorrow. there is quite a few threads regarding high temps which can be cured by repasting CPU and heat sinks with good quality thermal paste.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestion JimboJet. I have seen a few people mention waiting on the Aorus v7, though I'm yet to see any ideas on arrival time or price?

I used to really like Dell but I have to agree with Vargas, if I'm spending £2,500 on a laptop I don't expect to have to repaste anything.

Associate
Vargas, I'm not so sure. They (dell) are aware of the issues of course but have done nothing to the design of the heatsinks only adopted enthusiast suggestions to look at changing the thickness and placement of some of the thermal pads that were causing very high and uneven core temps. Their solution prior to this was to release an updated bios which would put limits on voltage and overclocking options artificially in an effort to "hide" the issue.

Then add in troubles with bezels and screen bleed which are still ongoing.

Yet another case of the accountants being in charge of the direction of the company. Short sighted, unnecessary and damaging to the overall health of the company's bottom line as customers turn to competitors.

Back
Top Bottom