New Laptop - WinXP or Vista?

Soldato
Hello,

I have been asked by a client to get them a laptop, she is a Make-up/Hair stylist and her needs are pretty simple, the only thing she kinda spec'ed was that it should run Vista.

I asked her how come she wanted Vista and she told me some of her friends had told her so (another makeup artist and an editor of a fashion magazine).

I'm not so sure that Vista is such a good O/S for a 'portable' laptop, I'm not even using this new O/S yet myself but I am interested in others opinions?

I don't know that much about VISTA yet, but the AERO interface looks snazzy, surely if using this in 3D its gonna put more strain on the system and guzzle more juice? (battery power!).

I think (willing to be corrected here) that Vista Home Basic (which is the one that seems to be supplied with a lot of new toys) does not have the Aero interface.

And I would think you are right - few integrated chipsets support Aero and logic says that 3D windows requires more GPU power, which means shorter battery time.

Had a similar request. A gig of ram is a must really.

There are already decent Vista Home Premium laptops available in high street stores for fairly reasonable prices. Have a look around the obvious ones.

a lot of people will say Vista's unnessesary, but sometimes we need to understand that appearance is important. If it looks new, fashionable and cool, thats really important to a lot of people. Thats why Apples stuff sells so well. They cater to that.

Last edited:
Yeah its Vista Home Premium that is being offered with the 1GB of ram coming as standard, but the VGA is an integrated INTEL Media Accelerator 950 (up to 256MB shared memory).

Core 2 Duo Processor T2060 (1.6GHz/533MHz/1MB Cache).

Don't even know if there is an option to buy a lappy with WinXP now, oh well I hope her printer/video-cam/scanner/digital camera all work fine under the new OS?

I've just got an Acer 5050 with Vista Basic, no idea what Aero is so i guess i don't have it. It only has at the moment 512mb of ram but it runs fine.
AMD Turion64 2Ghz with a Radeon Xpress 1100. Not bad for 400 quid :)

Having some problems installing stuff on Vista though, a lot of the things i've tried to install, even those which are supposed to be Vista compatible crash on install :(

My Mrs got a laptop from the dreaded Dell company, although its not too bad.

£435 got her:

Vista Premium
1Gb DDR2
AMD Turion X2 TL-50 CPU
80Gb Sata Drive
14.1 Widescreen

Back
Top Bottom