New Lawn Food

Associate
Afternoon all,

I got a new small lawn laid two months ago and finally gave it a cut after watering it periodically.

With the warmer weather it has left some burnt patches so will need to water it more when it is cooler in the evenings.

I wanted to get some lawn food but a lot of them said you should not use them on freshly laid lawn under 6 months.

Can anyone recommend a product I can use to keep the grass well nourished, greener and fight of any weeds etc whilst it is still in its infancy?

Thanks.

Caporegime
go to your local coffee shop and ask them for their used coffee grounds. throw that over your lawn to release nutrients.

you will likely get them for free too as it's a waste product. but some companies sell them on now or get companies to take them away for free. they can even be used to make fire logs for instance.

you could always poo in a bucket dilute it down with some water and mix it up and throw that on.

natural stuff over man made is the way to go. if you can buy a water butt and use that to water your garden rather than a hose. it's better for your garden.

Associate
OP
I have certainly learnt something new today! I didn't know you could throw used coffee grounds over the lawn so will look into that and ask my local shops if they can offload some. Also never thought about a water butt so thanks for that tip. The other tip I will leave well alone :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Ive read mixed things about coffee grounds with some saying they are too acidic (or is it alkali perhaps?) and can make your soil imbalanced?

fresh manure is acidic too. it depends on the plant, seed, how old it is and what it is susceptible too. i think with grass you will be fine.

also it's fresh grounds which are more acidic. by using used grounds most of that has been taken away.. some people use fresh i only use used as it's a waste product of both myself and my wifes nespresso machine capsules.

i open the used capsules up and bung the used stuff into a container.

Soldato
Nice tip.

I've just has lawn laid myself (popped in for mower advice :) ) and have noticed the coffee shop across the road has used coffee for free. Will go over in a mo and grab some.

Caporegime
Nice tip.

I've just has lawn laid myself (popped in for mower advice :) ) and have noticed the coffee shop across the road has used coffee for free. Will go over in a mo and grab some.

it's great for cilantro (coriander) as well as a host of other plants. it releases nitrogen into the soil too. as it's natural and brown in colour it doesn't look out of place too much. you can always push it deeper into the soil when it comes to plants.

Back
Top Bottom