New line from BT to get faster internet?

Associate
So, im told my line runs much longer a route than it should from my cabinet. I was thinking if i got a new line, as in they actually ran a new line it would be then much faster. Has anyone tried this in practice to see if it actually helped or if you just end up with 2 crappy lines?

Associate
If I remember correctly, it's not a garuantee that it'll be connected to a new run. As they could decide that the original line you have is good enough and just split a line in to that. Apart from that, I think from what I remember reading, it's all down to the engineer that visits you. You don't want a Kelly or Quinn, but a BT Engineer. The BT Engineer will work with you in most cases and you might be able to get something done in that case. Kelly or Quinn just want in asap and go, so they likely won't help you in that fashion.

Soldato
It depends on your local circumstances, no guarantee they won’t just take an existing pair on the same cable, with the same issue.

TJM

TJM

Associate
A fundamental problem is that a more direct route from your property to the cabinet through existing ducts probably doesn’t exist. If you want a shorter run, expect to pay commercial rates.

Associate
OP
Who has determined the route that your line "should" take?
BT, speed checker and an engineer who went and walked the recorded line path, then he walked the main road and the distance he got for that more or less matched the distance estimated by the line stats he measured. Basicaly bt recorded the line as going the shortest road distance but it seems the line actually goes via the main road, up and then back down resulting in a much longer line length than it should have been.

Caporegime
They'll fix that by updating the map though, not rearranging your line. It's not uncommon for lines to go up one side of the road and then back down the other. You'd be very lucky if placing a new line order got someone to pull in new copper in a different route than the rest of the services in your local area.

Back
Top Bottom