New Linpack Stress Test Released

Soldato
If the overclock isn't 100% stable, you'll run into trouble over time. App and game crashes, data corruption, and more.

It's better to spend a day or two to be certain the system is stable and to forget about it.

I learned it in the hard way. My 1st i7-965 build kept corrupting the OS files every few months.

I totally agree, non of this couple of hours of AIDA64 stress test......oh it must be stable because it passed that, mine can pass that in its sleep, I make sure mine is stable enough for rocket design lol, and for the very reasons you stated above.

Associate
If that's what works for you then great, ultimately it doesn't really matter of course. I can't say I've ever had problems over time or had issues with a corrupt OS though. I ran my 4770k at 4.5 then 4.7 (delidded and under water) for years making stable to a level I was happy with using Realbench, Prime 26.6 and AIDA64. If it crashed I just nudged the voltage up slightly during the first few days of use and it didn't make a peep again.

For me, I'm happier avoiding unnecessary voltages and heat over the lifetime of the processor. Of course the argument there is do I even need to overclock at all in that case :p.

Back
Top Bottom