New mechanical keyboard, custom or premade?

Associate
I think it's time to replace my 10 year old CM Storm QuickFire TK (brown switches).

I've been looking at possible options and it seems like everyone is going crazy over custom mechanical keyboards? There are sooo many things to consider, dozens of switches, plates, stabilizers, keycaps and it's all a bit overwhelming tbh!

I'm liking the 75% keyboards like the GMMK Pro, Keychron Q1 etc but they are a bit hard to find in EU (where do you find switches, keycaps etc in EU?), and I'd also have to decide on switches and I'm clueless, it seems like Cherry MX are not the best but which ones do I go for? I kinda like the browns I currently have and I don't mind if they are a bit loud (not as loud as blues though).

Maybe it's wiser to just get a premade like a Ducky one 3 and be done with it? Any other options?

Associate
It's entirely up to you how much you want to spend on the keyboard experience.
I have a custom and I've ordered a hyperx mech keyboard for gaming as I am missing having the numberpad, and flashy rgb when gaming in the dark.
The custom keyboard scene got a huge boost over the lockdown.
Try having a look at a premade, and then look up videos on youtube for switches, that should give you an idea of the feel and sound you can expect from your purchase, lubing and stabilizer bandaid modding can be done when you like.
Start off trying it out with a 75% that is hotswappable like Drevo, Epomaker,or Womier, they tend to be pretty cheap, but the cost of new switches soon adds up.

Caporegime
Gonna watch this thread - want a new KB after coming back to PC Gaming, but the specific features I want don't seem to exist together so thinking custom myself. Just out of my depth as I'm coming from a Logi G15...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
OP
Changed my mind in the end and ordered a GMMK Pro with Boba U4T switches and a nice AKKO ASA profile keycap set.

A bit expensive and maybe excessive as well but oh well :)

Soldato
I have 4 gaming keyboards now and they all have different switches, different keycaps, different brands, different ages.

What i learnt is a keyboard is a keyboard and they are all much the same so i wouldnt stress too much about it.

One is a bit lighter to press than the other, one is quiet and dampened somehow, one has nicer RGB, one is heavy.

I can happily use any of them and they all have something good and bad about them

Associate
Bit late to the discussion but for anyone else: The customs mostly have much more input latency than the top gaming pre-mades I've noticed. Even the GMMK is pretty high up there with the old kbs. While the pre-mades are often noisy with little to no lube/sound dampening but that is improving this last year with more of the big names adding those. I remember having mxbrown on an old 6Gv2 steelseries kb, the travel was so long before they would actuate or bottom out. I'd recommend you go the same linear movement but shorter travel/actuation like MX red/speed/low for gaming. All the in-house switch designs by the likes of razer/steelseries/logi are good too. The newer 8000hz kb models do give a solid reduction in latency if u game at a decent level and they don't have the same issue 8k polling rate mice do but price premium ofc. https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/tests/latency

Associate
One issue with pre-mades is the availability of spare parts, especially if they use non-standard switches/key caps. This is the problem I now facing with my Logitech G810, which uses Logitech's own brand Romer G switches. After only 3 years of use the keycaps are starting to break on this keyboard, and you can no longer get spares from Logitech. I need a new switch and CTRL key cap, which will cost about £90 to buy and import from USA. Also the switches are soldered into the board, so it is not a simple plug-in replacement. For these reasons, I am leaning towards getting a GMMK: the spares are much more readily available, and a lot cheaper, and the switches are pluggable, so much easier to change.

Soldato
One issue with pre-mades is the availability of spare parts, especially if they use non-standard switches/key caps. This is the problem I now facing with my Logitech G810, which uses Logitech's own brand Romer G switches.
Romer-G is Omron switch and it's been used by also others.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Omron_B3K_series
Might find key caps from those other users.

Back
Top Bottom