New Mechanical Keyboard

Associate
Good afternoon everyone,

I have just had to RMA my Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, due to one of my keys LEDs giving up. I'm sending it off soon, but I want a different keyboard. I am not a big fan of the Cherry Blue as it is noisy, and I want to get a different switch type keyboard, just to try it out. I am a programmer and gamer but it is more important that it is a good typists keyboard.

Looking at switches, I think a Brown switch is the most suitable. Does anyone have any recommendations? They don't have to be sold by Overclockers, but a name of any keyboards people can recommend would be great. I am using my Apple Wireless Keyboard at the moment and I must say that it is nothing like my keyboard :( can't use this for too long!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you hate noise, you're pretty much stuck with Brown. You can order different cherry switch types from the keyboard company just to try out; and there's also Topre if you don't mind trying under 7 days DSR.

I don't hate noise but my Blackwidow could keep the neighbours up, I didn't mind as such and to be honest it won't be a deal breaker at any stretch.

Associate
OP
I like the look of the Ducky Shine II, however if i have to import one from the USA then it would add expense, but it does look nice... and I have a choice of switches then too :D i still have to wait until Razer accept my RMA request and send me back a new keyboard to sell on really so I have a while yet, although this Apple Wireless keyboard is making me grind my teeth... i thought I quite liked it on my MacBook but on a desktop this is just no good.

edit: Ducky Shine really is expensive, probably to the point of too expensive. I would think anything over £100 is pushing it unless there is a very good reason.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok that's good to know! Haha is that so ;) i won't tell!

The Deck keyboards don't look my style. The CM Quickfire looks good but as you say, no LEDs is quite a biggie for me, I would rather have LEDs but I think, in the end, it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it didn't have LEDs because it will be cheaper, but I do want them!

Associate
OP
The ducky nordic site isn't up yet but:

<snip>

G9008 + White lasered PBT keycap. I'm guessing it'll be limited time offer only (I got a limited - regional launch of Ducky a year ago (PBT engraved keycap + bonus Black on black keycap, same price as the normal version)).

If backlit is a must then there's few choices, Shine 2/Shine Year of the Dragon; Deck Legend and KBT Race/Pure if you need desk space. There's also various cheaper options but they either have issues/quirks, or the build quality isn't comparable to the aforementioned.

Careful about mentioning competitors ;)

Desk space is hardly a big concern, the Razer Blackwidow is hardly a small keyboard, and it is the only thing I have on my desk apart from the other computer peripherals (2 monitors, mousemat, mouse, desk lamp and the tower). There was plenty of room for the Razer so I think these ones will be fine.

I love the look of that keyboard, I'll have a look into pricing now as you say.

Associate
OP
I've just been looking around, I have found a website that sells the Ducky keyboards, I have found one with Blue switches and Blue LED backlights, with the num pad, which looks very tempting... £115 though :p I would pay it I think it is a great looking keyboard.

Associate
OP
Not a fan of the Red LEDs unfortunately. However the Blue switch one might be good, I'm not quite sure about switches still... I know it is all personal preference but there isn't really a way that I can tell which one I will prefer until I have tried all of the switches, I love typing on the Blues but want to try another switch. So the Qpad is an option for sure. The world of mechanical keyboards is a wild one for sure :p

So far my list is

• Ducky Pro (choice of switches)
  • Qpad MK-85 (Red switches)
  • Just use the new Blackwidow when it arrives (blue switches)
  • Gigabyte Aivia Omnium (red switches)

Back
Top Bottom