New mobo and gpu, will I need a new psu?

rlm

rlm

Associate
I currently have an Fx53 with a 6800 ultra on a Msi Neo2 platinum board, this is running with a thermaltake 480 watt silent purepower psu.

My question is that on friday, when I plan to buy a 1900Xt and a Dfi nf4 mobo (with the imminent release of oblivion) will I need to buy a new psu too? I know that the pci-e boards require a 24 pin connection to the mobo for power, but as I understand it these extra 4 pins are just for stability and not always used? will I get away with keeping the same psu for the first month, if I dont overclock.

Thanks

Caporegime
Personally I would never trust a Tt PSU for anything - especially with the components you are about to buy and considering the PSU is an old type ATX...

Pretty sure DFI wouldnt support RMAs with a 20pin PSU anyway - though thats not saying they dont work...

The extra four pins are used for maintaining power stability across the system - IMO they are usually required for such high end parts...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
It would probably be ok, but if you have the extra cash for a new PSU youd be better off buying a new one.

[I do know someone using a Thermaltake 430W, with X1800XT 512MB & X2 4400+ without issues.]

Associate
ps3ud0 said:
Personally I would never trust a Tt PSU for anything - especially with the components you are about to buy

Thermaltake PSU's are pretty good actualy, if you go and read some reviews on some of the models you will find they are highly rated and are very stable.

The are no quality issus'e either from what i have read.

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
With the components above being bought what would you recommend as a suitable psu replacement, preferably sub 100, can stretch if needbe though.

Soldato
Go for a Seasonic PSU, they're damn good quality, quiet and reliable:)

I went for the 500W version a month ago and its a good PSU, well worth the money!

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Thanks, and final question (no promises) I'm tempted to get some more memory, but don't want to pay for 2x1gb. Could I buy some 2nd hand geil value ram 2x512 to bump me up to 2gb for now and see a decent performance gain, again this would be for oblivion which would no doubt be happier with the extra ram, but pairing this with my current ocz 3200eb does make me doubt what actual performance increase i would see. I just dont want to spend loads becuase I'll do a full upgrade when conroe and its competition is around properly.

Associate
rlm said:
Thanks, and final question (no promises) I'm tempted to get some more memory, but don't want to pay for 2x1gb. Could I buy some 2nd hand geil value ram 2x512 to bump me up to 2gb for now and see a decent performance gain, again this would be for oblivion which would no doubt be happier with the extra ram, but pairing this with my current ocz 3200eb does make me doubt what actual performance increase i would see. I just dont want to spend loads becuase I'll do a full upgrade when conroe and its competition is around properly.

Seasonic are nice and very quiet but there are currently cheaper alternatives and I would try for a 600w as this gives a better upgrade path. Definitely go for a 24 pin ATX 2.0 PSU though!

Try to make it 2x1Gig (Geil value seems a good buy) as it would be better in the long run and is a better upgrade path than ending up with another 2x512 to get rid of down the line imo. However 2Gig will give a performance gain whichever way you do it and your mem should work fine in pairs.

As for waiting, if you wait for the 'next' technology advance you will never buy anything ;)

Caporegime
Street said:
Go for a Seasonic PSU, they're damn good quality, quiet and reliable:)

I went for the 500W version a month ago and its a good PSU, well worth the money!
Dont these still have issues with DFI mobos though :confused: - good choice otherwise...

CaSh_MoNeY said:
Thermaltake PSU's are pretty good actualy, if you go and read some reviews on some of the models you will find they are highly rated and are very stable.

The are no quality issus'e either from what i have read.
Trust me those old Tts are nearly as bad as Qtecs - poor cross load graphs and a lot of ripple/noise on the power levels - also how the power levels drop off when temps rise to realistic real-world levels rather than the 25C most manus test at...

Be better to read good reviews that go into that kinda detail to appreciate how bad those were - the new ones are supposedly better but Ive not used them myself - and at the price point they go for there normally something of better quality to get really...

Personally Id recommend a Fortron/Zippy - theres a DFI mobo forum and XS to check for good recommendations...

Last edited:
Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
Dont these still have issues with DFI mobos though :confused: - good choice otherwise...

No problems with mine. I've heard of problems with the Enermax Liberties and the DFIs but not the Seasonics.

I originally bought a Liberty but my system kept restarting at random. Posted on DFI Street and they said there have been a few problems with the Liberties, also the guy I spoke to at OcUK when I phoned up for a replacement advised me not to get another Liberty as there were known problems with DFIs.

Everyone advised me to get a Seasonic at the time (even Angry Games over at DFI Street didn't advise me against it) so I bought one and haven't been disappointed:)

Caporegime
Street said:
No problems with mine. I've heard of problems with the Enermax Liberties and the DFIs but not the Seasonics.

I originally bought a Liberty but my system kept restarting at random. Posted on DFI Street and they said there have been a few problems with the Liberties, also the guy I spoke to at OcUK when I phoned up for a replacement advised me not to get another Liberty as there were known problems with DFIs.

Everyone advised me to get a Seasonic at the time (even Angry Games over at DFI Street didn't advise me against it) so I bought one and haven't been disappointed:)
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5696487&highlight=seasonic#post5696487

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5587434&highlight=seasonic#post5587434

Definitely were issues - just too late for me to bother to find the links on DFI Street :p (soz) - perhaps its all been sorted though...

rlm

rlm

Associate
OP
Not only am I wating for advances in tech, I cant afford a full upgrade right now and don't think I can justify on shelling out on a new cpu when I want to run my fx53 till the end of the year, its already pretty much worthless so I'm not concerned with depreciation.

Soldato
ps3ud0 said:
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5696487&highlight=seasonic#post5696487

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5587434&highlight=seasonic#post5587434

Definitely were issues - just too late for me to bother to find the links on DFI Street :p (soz) - perhaps its all been sorted though...

Didn't know that, might have persuaded me against buying Seasonic at the time if I'd know. Glad I did get it now though. The problems must have been sorted by the time I bought mine in Febuary... :)

Associate
You be best to get an new psu when i was building my new system with an DFI SLi-D board i forgot to plug in the extra 4 pin molex connector (as you do) and it wouldnt ever start up. I got an Tagen 530W no problums yet.

Associate
Street said:

AHMEN! :D
I think you might look to DFI for the root cause of these 'problems' with PSU's. :(
Could it be the mobo and not the PSU that's causing problems? :rolleyes:
There are some very good reason why myself and other people don't use DFI mobo's ;)

Back
Top Bottom