New mobo, new copy of windows 10?

Permabanned
Quick question, does installing a new motherboard require me to rebuy a windows 10 license? Windows 10 Home installer and still have the original box and key.

Associate
No, you won't need to repurchase the license, you can just re-activate it using the key you have and if you have any issue just 'chat' with their support team.

I've just gone through the process with replacing my motherboard.

Associate
No, you won't need to repurchase the license, you can just re-activate it using the key you have and if you have any issue just 'chat' with their support team.

I've just gone through the process with replacing my motherboard.

Did you have an OEM or retail key though?

Associate
I only did this 3month ago , When i first upgraded my motherboard all was good and win 10 was activated np ,but then 2 days later my M/B died and i had it replaced with a new one about 5 days later but this time when i installed win 10 it wouldn't active with the key i was using which was my oem key of 8.1 ,so i go on to microsoft chat and after they tried at there end to active my copy they couldn't so they then took control of my PC from remote access and did a load of things but it still wouldn't active , the technician then went and got his team leader who after 10 minutes of trying to get it to active issued me with a brand new key and also told me that this new will work if i need to reinstall the o/s anytime in the future ...

I wasnt going to try the chat system at the time as i was going to just buy a new but i decided to give it a go and they where very helpful in the end and saved my a few quid to :)

Back
Top Bottom