New Modular PSU - Advice/Comments needed

Soldato
OP
Cheers for that Massive Attack,

Having read that review there is one feature that I totally forgot about,

Fan-Only Connectors!

thatsquite important as well because two systems have the case fans controlled by these, both of them are *Silent* systems. .

Associate
Big.Wayne said:
Hi adfinni and Massive Attack,

I would imagine that the Corsair PSU's are rather good, the company has an excellent reputation as a memory manufacturer but to be honest we (joe public) don't know that much about them and how they last, because they are so new, still would be happy to hear of any reviews/features you would care to share. . .

Corsair PSUs have a 5 year warranty, so I would imagine they would last a while :p I got my Corsair HX520W after the Tagan Easyconn 530W popped on me in less than 6 months. I love my HX520W -- rails are stable, very quiet, and the ribbon-type modular cables are very flexible. I routed all the cables in 10 minutes and my case looks super clean.

You can check out a list of reviews on http://www.corsair.com/corsair/HX_power_supply.html

Soldato
OP
psumann said:
I got my Corsair HX520W after the Tagan Easyconn 530W popped on me in less than 6 months.
Hi psumann,

good to know, oh dear I have a Easyconn 530w here now, looks like a great PSU but yours popped after only 6 months :eek:

What system was that powering out of interest?

I need to get my orders in tonight, had pretty much decided to grab the Enermax Liberty 400w (x2/P4's) and 500w (x2/Opterons) but It looks like the Liberty doesn't have a fan-only connectors (which is standard on most ANTEC PSU's and I got used to having that function now). I really need the fan control on two of the systems (to help reduce noise), hmmm this is proving to be a tricky process. . . .

BTW: The Corsair PSU looks neat and has the fan-controllers *but* is a bit pricey for me, lets see. . . . .

Associate
Neil79 said:
Don't get a hiper, personal experience from me... mine became faulty within the first few months then wouldnt power up the system from cold!

So scratch that off your list

I agree as my Hiper HPU-4K580-MK Type R 580W has just died on me after about a years use. Started making a high pitched noise and then failed. I'm just hoping everything else will be ok when I fit the new Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon I've just ordered. After seeing several other cases like mine, I'm not even going to RMA the unit as I wouldn't trust another Hiper. It looks like you have to pay the carriage to get the Hiper RMA'd aswell.

Associate
Big.Wayne said:
Hi psumann,

good to know, oh dear I have a Easyconn 530w here now, looks like a great PSU but yours popped after only 6 months :eek:

What system was that powering out of interest?

I need to get my orders in tonight, had pretty much decided to grab the Enermax Liberty 400w (x2/P4's) and 500w (x2/Opterons) but It looks like the Liberty doesn't have a fan-only connectors (which is standard on most ANTEC PSU's and I got used to having that function now). I really need the fan control on two of the systems (to help reduce noise), hmmm this is proving to be a tricky process. . . .

BTW: The Corsair PSU looks neat and has the fan-controllers *but* is a bit pricey for me, lets see. . . . .

This is what I have now:
Asus P5W-DH Deluxe MB with E6600CPU, ATI X1800XT,2 NEC DVD/RW drives, FD,2 WD 250 SATA drives, 2 GB of GSkill, and Corsair HX520W.

As for the Fan-Only connector on the Corsair, I don't believe it controls the fan speed like Antec does. It's just a Y-cable with +12V line only. :(

If you must have the fan-controllers, Antec is your only choice. The spec on their new Trio is nice, but the PSU itself looks like it's from a 10 years old system :rolleyes:

Associate
can only speak on what i have but the modular tagan is a great power supply (and the non modular seasonic is also great.) cant imagine going wrong with either og those tbh. cant speak on hiper/ocz as dont have any

Back
Top Bottom