New MOT rules! Great for classics owners!

Man of Honour
Does the driving 'to and from' test place still exemption still apply?

There has never been an exemption allowing you to drive a car with dangerous faults on a public road.

You can drive a car without a valid MOT to or from a booked test or place of repair, but that doesn't mean you could do it legally with two bald tyres and missing brakes.

Caporegime
There has never been an exemption allowing you to drive a car with dangerous faults on a public road.

You can drive a car without a valid MOT to or from a booked test or place of repair, but that doesn't mean you could do it legally with two bald tyres and missing brakes.

Serious question, with no MOT, could I drive my car with just a downpipe to a pre-booked appointment at a garage to have an exhaust made for it, which would obviously be something required for the MOT? It isn't dangerous, just sodding loud, and it isn't a repair, it is to effectively fit a required missing part.

But we must have a law for exhaust noise right? :p

Caporegime
No, you want to drive it to a garage for repair and fitment of parts.

If it was booked in for just an MOT, it'll be fine

IT WILL NOT BE FINE, and has never ever has been fine at all, if the car is in a dangerous condition, which means it is classed as unroadworthy, and therefore illegal to drive under under any circumstances under the road traffic act.

Caporegime
I present to you this piece of evidence. You see, what we have here is the elderly gentleman with his Great British Sports Car which will easily outrun this newfangled hatchback! It's a Sports Car Doris! Tally Ho!

And then the inevitable happens. And you want to allow these people on the roads with their misplaced confidence and outdated views with even less restrictions? What a ridiculous idea.

EDIT: I am connecting dots here which are fairly far apart but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what the potential is.

Soldato
I agree JRS. That is the main trouble, the people don’t exist now in mot garages, who know what old vehicles should be like.

On side note, the emissions on my MGB would have passed later fuel injection limits easily, the MOT guy at the time was mega impressed.

I went through a spate about ten years ago of having a run of customers older cars suffering wheel bearing failures.

The one thing they all had in common was that they had recently had MOT tests where the tester had picked up on loose wheel bearings and had tightened them up a bit.

it seems that the current generation of MOT testers did not/don't understand that old school taper roller bearings need to have a fair degree of slack in them. Otherwise the bearings will seize and the wheels fall off.

Don
I present to you this piece of evidence. You see, what we have here is the elderly gentleman with his Great British Sports Car which will easily outrun this newfangled hatchback! It's a Sports Car Doris! Tally Ho!

And then the inevitable happens. And you want to allow these people on the roads with their misplaced confidence and outdated views with even less restrictions? What a ridiculous idea.

EDIT: I am connecting dots here which are fairly far apart but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what the potential is.

I know that specific stretch of road, it's in the neighbouring village where I live. There's a monthly car meet that takes place there, which I assume is where the car was leaving from. Also, that's not a classic car, you can still buy them brand new today. It's just bad driving and not because it's a classic.

It is a terrible junction for trying to pull out. Previously it was a dual carriageway, so you could move into one lane and the traffic could pass on the other but they changed it a couple of years ago into a single carriageway.

FYI, it's also a 50mph limit road - that Peugeot appears to be going much much faster than that.

So bad driving, not badly maintained cars caused that accident.

Soldato
Laughable nonsense from diddums, we all chewed the fat over that video when it first appeared on here, and it was a typical, pulling out of car show, trying to look flash accident. I ran an MGB as a daily driver for a number of years, even through winter. Never held anyone up, and got held up plenty of times.

There are still loads of new cars with not much bhp or power. Isn't there a new Polo or something with like 50 bhp?

Soldato
Failed with a few things such as uneven brake wear on the rear but was a dangerous fail because the brake level sensor was unplugged on one side and was told he couldn't drive it.

Brake pad thickness sensors (I am assuming that is what you are talking about)are a waste of space anyway.

Mostly they are only on one pad on each axle. (Sometimes one pad on each side, only rarely, a sensor on each pad)

The other three can wear down to the metal and friction weld themselves to the disk without any warning lights coming on..

Absence of warning light in most cases=Total false sense of security..!

Man of Honour

Huh? That's a video of a bloke driving his car into the road when it wasn't clear to go. I'm not sure what it has to do with roadworthiness.

Soldato
i must confess i don't really see why they'd need to do this?

sure an old car by design (ie assuming it's in tip top condition as good as it rolled out of the factory) isn't going to be as capable as a modern car, but that doesn't mean it can't go through a modern mot test, i mean all they're doing is checking emissions (old cars still have exhausts right?), checking brakes (pretty sure they have wheels?) and inspecting for general integrity, it's not going to take a rocket scientist to spot a bad spot of rust on an old car compared to a new car.

i can't see why the basic aspects of checking for roadworthyness can't still be done on an older car, sure it might need lower requirements based on what it's meant to be able to acheive (for example in emissions tests) but if anything it should be easier on an older car with less going on.

Don
i must confess i don't really see why they'd need to do this?

sure an old car by design (ie assuming it's in tip top condition as good as it rolled out of the factory) isn't going to be as capable as a modern car, but that doesn't mean it can't go through a modern mot test, i mean all they're doing is checking emissions (old cars still have exhausts right?), checking brakes (pretty sure they have wheels?) and inspecting for general integrity, it's not going to take a rocket scientist to spot a bad spot of rust on an old car compared to a new car.

i can't see why the basic aspects of checking for roadworthyness can't still be done on an older car, sure it might need lower requirements based on what it's meant to be able to acheive (for example in emissions tests) but if anything it should be easier on an older car with less going on.

I'd guess that because there are such low numbers of classic cars, it's easier to exempt them rather than maintain two different sets of rules / criteria for the MOT.

The classic cars still need to be roadworthy, it's just the owners responsibility to ensure it rather than relying on an MOT.

Using the same argument, cars under 3 years old shouldn't be exempt either. Fleet cars can regularly exceed 30k miles a year, so brakes, tyres etc are all going to be at the end of their life before those 3 years are up.

Back
Top Bottom