New motherboard/cpu/ram bundle needed

Associate
Hi guys,

I managed to break in half one of the inductors on my Foxconn Bloodrage motherboard while moving to a new case. I can't find any other bloodrage motherboards and the only option would be a different motherboard on the 2nd hand market for the 1366 socket i7 9** ecu and 12gb ddr3 ram I've got

Looking to see how cheaply I can upgrade the 3 main parts.

I currently have:
Bitfenix Neos case which supports full ATX.
Coolermaster 850w 80+ PSU
EVGA GTX 970 SC GPU
Corsair H60 liquid CPU cooler (not sure if the bracket on it is only suitable for the 1366 socket as according to Corsair this is in the package contents which I don't have anymore...
  • Mounting brackets for Intel™ LGA 115x/1136/2011 and AMD AM2/AM3/AM4/FM1/FM2
  • Quick Start Guide
  • COMPATIBILITY
  • Intel™ LGA 1150, 1155, 1156, 1366, and 2011
  • AMD sockets AM2, AM3, AM4, FM1, and FM2

The computers main use is VR. My Vive ran fine on it before so I'm not looking to upgrade the GPU at the moment as I need to do this as cheap as possible.

TIA

Last edited:
Soldato
9600k . You'll lose the 12 threads but keep 6 cores. It'll run better due to increased clock speed, specially if overclocked to 5ghz all cores as well as improved IPC and IMC. There was a good jump in IPC between 1st to 3rd gen I Cores, after that was just speed and core increase .
I went from i7 860 at 4ghz to i5 7600k at 5.2 and it blow the socks off the first Gen i7 and didn't have hyper threading

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £510.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Ryzen - 1700 is same price as 2600x , but whilst lacks single core speed as 8 cores and can overclock to 4ghz all cores. Should last a good while :)

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £435.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Cheaper ATX boards out of stock or pre-order .

Intel would gain you the FPS advantage .
Make above cheaper , use ryzen 1600 and overclock as high as you can get

Associate
OP
Thanks @orbitalwalsh it looks like i'll need a cpu cooler aswell after some googling the 1366 socket cooler won't fit either a 1151 or AM4 without a bracket :(

What a disaster this has turned out to be, should only have been a simple case swap!

edit - after downloading the user manual for the H60 it looks like its the same bracket for the 115X and 1366 so wouldnt need a new cooler if i went for that intel bundle.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks @orbitalwalsh it looks like i'll need a cpu cooler aswell after some googling the 1366 socket cooler won't fit either a 1151 or AM4 without a bracket :(

What a disaster this has turned out to be, should only have been a simple case swap!

Don't worry, component will go over time , it's served you a long time mind !
Did they not included LGA 1150 bracket in the box as that would fit 1151 ?

Associate
OP
Don't worry, component will go over time , it's served you a long time mind !
Did they not included LGA 1150 bracket in the box as that would fit 1151 ?

i downloaded the manual for the H60 and according to that its the same bracket for the 115X and 1366 sockets so it looks like that one would fit.

I'm in contact with a local IT repair shop to see if they can replace the inductor, if that fails then it looks like i'll need to get a new bundle

Associate
Another x58 platform user :) I've just taken the recent plunge to upgrade too, went for a 2700x, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and 16gb of 8 pack memory. Not sure what to do with my old X58 setup now though, as I've got the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 but when I bought it there was no cooling on it, it was full EK WB covered, so spent a fortune on forged copper Enzotech passive cooling (VRM's never gone beyond 46 degrees though), x5650 at 4.2ghz and 32GB of 2400mhz RAM. Amazing that these things still work so well!

Associate
OP
Another x58 platform user :) I've just taken the recent plunge to upgrade too, went for a 2700x, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC and 16gb of 8 pack memory. Not sure what to do with my old X58 setup now though, as I've got the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 but when I bought it there was no cooling on it, it was full EK WB covered, so spent a fortune on forged copper Enzotech passive cooling (VRM's never gone beyond 46 degrees though), x5650 at 4.2ghz and 32GB of 2400mhz RAM. Amazing that these things still work so well!

my system worked flawlessly aswell. Ran my HTC Vive no problem, sure wasn't maxxed out in graphics quality but it was good enough, thats why i'm reluctant to spend a lot of money (that i don't have!) to upgrade because the 1366 socket isn't supported anymore. I can't remember off the top of my head which exact processor it is but i'm pretty sure its a i7 970 cpu. I haven't done any overclocking and i don't plan on doing so, jeez if i can mess up just doing a case swap, i'd probably do worse trying to OC!

Associate
hahaha, yeah these x58's are a b!tch to overclock and get them stable, as base clock OC ramps up everything so finding a sweet spot is difficult! My Xeon isn't the best overclocker, as some are getting 4.6 and above, but the IMC on it is pretty strong with it allowing me to run the ram so quick. It's a shame the board is goosed and not the CPU, as I'd have just advised you to drop a Xeon in, as you can pickup 5680's for under £40 delivered and those 6 cores and 12 threads do come in handy. I'm only upgrading simply because I want a bit of a jump in performance on for my minimum FPS.

Associate
OP
hahaha, yeah these x58's are a b!tch to overclock and get them stable, as base clock OC ramps up everything so finding a sweet spot is difficult! My Xeon isn't the best overclocker, as some are getting 4.6 and above, but the IMC on it is pretty strong with it allowing me to run the ram so quick. It's a shame the board is goosed and not the CPU, as I'd have just advised you to drop a Xeon in, as you can pickup 5680's for under £40 delivered and those 6 cores and 12 threads do come in handy. I'm only upgrading simply because I want a bit of a jump in performance on for my minimum FPS.

If the broken inductor can't be replaced then i'll have to go down the upgrade route. Just waiting to hear from a couple of local repair shops.

Last edited:
Associate
If the broken inductor can't be replaced then i'll have to go down the upgrade route. Just waiting to hear from a couple of local repair shops.

Yeah, to be honest a Xeon would probably be a fairly significant upgrade over what you have already, but a newer platform would be even better. I was all set to go Intel, but the price, availability and lack of upgrade path put me off and I think whatever I went for would be a big jump, so I'm gone with AMD this time around as I've no affinity to either vendor, my only affinity is to my wallet!

Associate
OP
Yeah, to be honest a Xeon would probably be a fairly significant upgrade over what you have already, but a newer platform would be even better. I was all set to go Intel, but the price, availability and lack of upgrade path put me off and I think whatever I went for would be a big jump, so I'm gone with AMD this time around as I've no affinity to either vendor, my only affinity is to my wallet!

I think you're right, plus the 1700 comes with a cooler anyway which will do the job, as i said i'm not going to be overclocking anything, just want a half decent running stock system that will let me enjoy my vive! So i'll probably go to AMD if i need to make the jump.

Associate
If I were you I'd go 2nd gen Ryzen personally if gaming is what the system will mainly be used for. I always used to look at average FPS, in which the 2600x and 2700x are pretty much neck and neck, however when you look at the minimum FPS, there's a fair jump going to a 2700x and this for me is where my current main issue lies. Going from my Xeon to AMD I wont see a big difference in average FPS, but the dips which can ruin a gaming experience will be dramatically improved. My mate had a 1700x and just going to the 2700x his gaming experience is a lot better in VR as those low FPS moments now have a much less severe impact.

Associate
OP
The Ryzen 5 2600X is the same price as the Ryzen 7 1700. which would be the better one to go for and is the 2600x compatible with the Gigabyte B450 AUROS ELITE motherboard?

Associate
OP
looking at a couple of comparison videos the 2600x is showing a good chunk more FPS in games compared to the 1700. The 2600X doesnt come with a cooler so i'd need to purchase a separate one.

Associate
I think all the Ryzen 2's come with CPU coolers now mate. I know the 2700x I've got on order from here comes with one (but I wont be using it as I've already got a Noctua nh-D14...). On Ryzen 1, I think the 'x' series came cooler'less and the non 'x' came with a cooler bundled.

Other option is to stick a cheaper Ryzen 1 1600 in and run that until the 3700x is out, as this could be a blindingly quick chip... or it may just be a marginal upgrade over a 2700x... who knows!

Soldato
Probably a question for @orbitalwalsh , but I'd have thought for gaming the 2600x would be better. Any Ryzen will however work on a B450 board. I'd personally look at the MSI boards though for B450 due to the 'apparently' better VRM's.

true but locks out at 4.2ghz and need a better cooler to hit 4.2ghz all cores. 1700 or 1700x can hit 4ghz all cores and if your spending the same amount of cash - will last a bit longer

planning more future length in time etc

if non Vive Pro and standard Vive- would go intel just for performance

Last edited:
Associate
true but locks out at 4.2ghz and need a better cooler to hit 4.2ghz all cores. 1700 or 1700x can hit 4ghz all cores and if your spending the same amount of cash - will last a bit longer

planning more future length in time etc

if non Vive Pro and standard Vive- would go intel just for performance

This is where it gets tricky, speculating on the future to a degree. Right now, for out and out gaming performance, Intel is king, however they are a pretty dead end platform, more expensive and whilst faster, they aren't a million miles ahead depending on the game or application. I've had a mix of Intel and AMD over the years, so really have no affinity to either, HOWEVER, my money went on Ryzen this time, simply because it's cheaper, it's going to be MILES faster than what I have now and I can drop in a 3 or 4 series Ryzen when the time comes. Price vs performance, then the balance favours AMD at the moment in my opinion, but again, if money were no object I'd be getting an Intel i9 9900k and that would keep me going for the next 3-5 years I'd imagine.

Back
Top Bottom