New Nationwide TV Advert

Associate
Could not find a thread on this already

Does anybody else also not find this a strange advert?

Although I can see the motive behind it, and it’s good that the demise of the high street as we know it is getting some high level attention, and I thought the advert started off very well, but the eventual punchline of 2 years personally just left me a little jaw dropped.

To me surely it’s not something to go shouting about if your only going to publicly commit for ‘only’ another 2 years. Just seemed.. strange. Let’s say if it was 5-10 years, then that would have left me feeling a little bit more like, wow, great that a bank is publicly committing to all existing branches near and far for a ‘long’ amount of time, shows good commitment.

2 years just left me with the ‘impression’ they have as little confidence in the high street as most other business, that it can’t be sustained with the upturn in online services etc etc etc so makes me think what was the point in the advert then.

Would be good to get some other feedback and opinions on what other people thought specifically on this advert. Try not to get off topic on general high street demises and other issues :)

Soldato

Although I can see the motive behind it, and it’s good that the demise of the high street as we know it is getting some high level attention, and I thought the advert started off very well, but the eventual punchline of 2 years personally just left me a little jaw dropped.

To me surely it’s not something to go shouting about if your only going to publicly commit for ‘only’ another 2 years. Just seemed.. strange. Let’s say if it was 5-10 years, then that would have left me feeling a little bit more like, wow, great that a bank is publicly committing to all existing branches near and far for a ‘long’ amount of time, shows good commitment.

2 years just left me with the ‘impression’ they have as little confidence in the high street as most other business, that it can’t be sustained with the upturn in online services etc etc etc so makes me think what was the point in the advert then.

Would be good to get some other feedback and opinions on what other people thought specifically on this advert. Try not to get off topic on general high street demises and other issues :)

aoHnYEi.gif

Caporegime
Pretty much all adverts are borderline retarded these days.

And what is it with stupid tag lines? "BT - Be There." Be where? Here? There? Where the fudge should I go, Mr advertising person? You didn't tell me :(

Advertising = nonsense.

Soldato
I remember when adverts were just adverts for a product or service without the constant plugging of their website or social media presence or "search for xx".

Soldato
I remember when adverts were just adverts for a product or service without the constant plugging of their website or social media presence or "search for xx".

Ah yes, back in the day when websites didn't exist so they couldn't point you to a place where, should you be interested, you can find more information about that thing you're interested in. Ah the good old days, what is the world coming to?

Man of Honour

Yep, thought the same thing... "What happens after two years?"

Soldato
Just means in 2 years time they will start closing branches again. And high street banks wonder why people are moving to Starling/Monzo.

Because that makes sense?

Oooooh you banks (building society in the case of Nationwide).....closing all your branches..... I am going to move............ to an app based FinTech with no physical branches!

There is no logic. Now there might be lots of very good reasons why someone might do it, but closing branches doesn't seem like a very logical one to me?

Man of Honour
Pretty much all adverts are borderline retarded these days.

And what is it with stupid tag lines? "BT - Be There." Be where? Here? There? Where the fudge should I go, Mr advertising person? You didn't tell me :(

Advertising = nonsense.

Maybe they're saying that their service is rubbish and so you'll have to travel to the other person in order to talk with them?

Caporegime
The annoying singing sisters were the worst. I think they ended up getting death threats.
The dark haired one I thought was pretty hot lol. But yes the nationwide adverts are annoying to say the least.

On the subject of bank adverts, that utterly stupid Halifax ones where they do the wizard of oz and ghostbusters were pretty pathetic as well.

Soldato
In the last 10-15 years Nationwide closed pretty much every branch I had ever been to (South and Southeast London). It got pretty annoying to head over to take care of something and literally find your bank gone. So I'm assuming these adverts are targeting the people who haven't naturally shifted to internet banking.

I think it's a pretty specific response to Nationwide's current situation, but it still comes across as "We're keeping our last few branches open until we close them all in 2020".

I'm in 2 minds about this. I bank with Nationwide, Santander and MBNA, but I don't need to visit the branches because I do all of my banking online.

However, the high street is dying and there needs to be reasons for people to come back to the high street and banks in bricks and mortar presence would help that for those who still bank bricks and mortar.

Back
Top Bottom