New neighbours get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday morning... argh!

Soldato
Ok hive mind, I was going to post this in GD but thought better of it. Had a dreadful night's sleep last night, made all the worse for the fact that my neighbours opposite seemingly get their Sainsbury's delivery at 7am every Saturday. We've been in our new place for 4 weeks now and it's happened every weekend :(

So, woken up by the awful reversing noise at 7.09am today, followed by 10mins of the guy parked in the street clattering around in the van. It's a narrow (one car wide) quiet terraced street so this noise is like bedlam in the morning, there's no way it wouldn't be waking up all the surrounding houses if they weren't up already. Most main bedrooms are at the front of the houses too, apart from those who have converted the lofts. So this is all happening about 5m from your head.

Anyway, would you say something to them? Ask them nicely if 8am might not be more suitable? I know they're well within their right to make noise after 7am but I just think it's rather unreasonable and not very neighbourly... :confused:

And yes, I like my sleep :(

Soldato
OP
Ah OcUK never fails to deliver. Hyperbole is certainly the word here! Absolutely hilarious responses.

The OPs case in point is that they've arranged this for every Saturday, sure they're early risers but because they are doesn't mean the whole street has to be. They can't expect to control other people's lives to suit their own now, can they? :)
Exactly. One could argue they're the entitled ones by assuming everyone should be up at 7am on a Saturday. For what it's worth I work with west coast USA a lot, my days are shifted just that little bit later than most others due to later calls etc so my sleeping pattern has followed. Like most other people I know, I enjoy a slow weekend morning and therefore am not enjoying the wake-up call at 7am sharp on a Saturday. Judging by the deathly quiet street at that time, no one else is up either.
I quite regularly do this as it’s a cheap slot, and product availability is better when they pick overnight. Can’t see it bothering anyone unless they had windows open…
It's summer. Everyone has their windows open at night :confused:

Soldato
OP
Let’s hope none of them have a dog or small children!
Does having pets or young children entitle someone to wake up the street at 7am on the weekend? :confused: They do have a young child, as do our neighbours next door. And there are plenty of pets/dogs in surrounding houses. No problems with any of those. Kids crying for example is out of patents control (sort of) anyway. Booking a 7am delivery every weekend is an active choice which I personally find to be unsociable.

If we assume that this has been happening for longer than the 4 weeks you've lived there, either it doesn't bother any of your neighbours, or someone has already complained and it's not made any difference.
A fair point, or perhaps it bothers people but they've never mentioned it. By the way, I'm not saying I'd "complain" maybe just mention it in passing and suggest it's a bit early. Then the balls in their court once they know it bothers someone...

I don't think its an issue but you should realise the slot might well be 7-9am so not the neighbours fault.
This is actually useful to know. We use Ocado and it's a 1hr slot, therefore I was thinking a 7-8am slot is just that little bit excessive. If they're booking a 2hr slot maybe they've been unlucky for the last few weeks.

Soldato
OP
It wouldn't bother me, I get up at 3am to go to work. 7am on a Saturday morning is not early.
What do you want, a medal?

Do people who work night shifts and need to sleep through the day get a say here?
I did night shifts for 5 years, it's part of the reason I don't sleep well actually. Never again.

Serious note, glad i live somewhere that its all sensible none lazy people, youll often get people mowing the lawn at 7am on a nice morning.
What makes an early riser "sensible" exactly? Doctors say you should be getting 7.5hrs of sleep a night. So to flip it around my neighbour is essentially dictating that I need to be in bed by 11.30pm on a Friday night right? Lol. I'm betting most of the people in here are never in bed by then, let alone on a Friday night when you want to wind down after a long week of work, I dunno have a few beers, have a late pizza and watch a movie or something. My last street was full of "sensible" people where everyone respected others slightly different timeframes and trimming hedges etc, washing cars probably never started before 9am at the weekend.

I couldn't care less if I got woken up at 7am on the odd weekend for whatever reason. I just find it surprising that someone would pick that time for their weekly shop every single damn time.

Soldato
OP
No, but you have to get used to the idea that we live in a 24/7 society, just because you no doubt have a nice 9-5 office job a lot of people work all hours and you moving into a new road and then throwing your weight around isn't going to make you Mr Popular.
If you read the thread properly I have anything but. The latter part of my day is very busy because my office in LA wake up and start working at 4-5pm UK. I was on calls until 8pm on Friday just gone which isn't unusual (annoying for a Friday mind), and I also deal with a lot of people in different countries and timezones. I'm not looking for sympathy as it's just the way my job is and I'm perfectly happy with it... But you did ask. Having done 5 years of nightshifts I'm also well used to the idea of a 24/7 society. However I was brought up to avoid doing things that might possibly put others out, have the potential to annoy them etc. especially your neighbours. Therefore if I wanted my weekly shop to come on a Saturday morning I'd guess after 8am is more suitable if only because it's just that little bit nicer to your neighbours. Sounds like half the people in this thread weren't brought up that way...

Also suggest you read my OP properly, too. I've said nothing about "throwing my weight around". What I said was;
Ask them nicely if 8am might not be more suitable?
:rolleyes:

Soldato
OP
Looks like you guys had fun in this thread yesterday :D
No legal recourse to me means acceptable and well within their rights. Nothing you can do about it.
There is no law against getting a delivery at 7am.
There's a vast difference between something being legal and something being acceptable. As other posters mention just because you can, doesn't mean you should, especially when it comes to playing nice with your neighbours. You're legally entitled to blast music until 22:59 any night of the week, or have large parties. No? But if you did, you'd soon find your neighbours complaining. This is no different. It'#s not a question of law, it's a question of being neighbourly.

Completely agree. People who think it’s ok to wake up their neighbours at the weekend are odious. You get 2 days a week of free sleep, and someone ruins it.
Exactly. These neighbours are either not working, or working from home (as we see them around all the time). So exactly what's wrong with the other 5 days in the week? :confused:

People must have had vastly different upbringings to think making a noise at the weekend before 9am is acceptable. Just sheer ignorance and stubborn mindedness really. But hey, that's the way society is heading, every man, woman and however else you want to identify yourself as for themselves.
Yeah. Hilarious to see everyone calling me entitled, yet they're the ones insisting they'd do the same and **** everyone else! That's almost the dictionary definition of entitled :rolleyes:

He lives in central London.
I live in zone 3. It's not central London by any stretch of the imagination. Also funny to see people assuming that everyone who lives in London must be next to 3 lanes of traffic flying by 24/7 and we couldn't possibly ever get peace and quiet. I'm sure there's areas like that but this ain't one. It's a nice, quiet suburb. Besides the 7am deliveries.

Still wondering how a delivery can wake someone from London.
To clarify, it's a narrow road with cars parked either side. So the last couple of times the guy overshot the neighbours house and proceeded to reverse back down the road for 50m. So we all had the 'white sound' alarm...

Also loving the black and white here. People really think I'm going to march over to my neighbour and demand he stops? And he's going to tell me to **** off? lol, hardly... I know how to deal with people. I'm sure he knows how to deal with people. Maybe a subtle mention if I bump into him "Oh was that your delivery early on Saturday. Oh that's too early for me I was still in bed" etc. is the way to play it at first. Something like that. I'll probably leave it for now, see how it pans out, if it continues and is definitely going to be a regular thing. I dunno. Maybe I'll book our Ocado shop for 11pm on a Wed. Because ya know, we can... /sarcasm

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Maybe just behave like an adult and talk to the neighbour and see if they are flexible.

Everyone is scared to talk to people these days and instead just rush to a forum to whinge.
Well if you read my OP and follow-ups that's exactly what I've intended to do. It's all the entitled nutcases on here that are coming out with nonsense like "Oh if my neighbour demanded I change my shopping delivery I'd tell them to **** right off and poo through their letterbox" etc. because clearly they don't know how to deal with people IRL! I've only ever suggested talking to my neighbour in an adult way thank you very much.. :confused:

Highly doubt any supermarket will stop delivering at 7am because of a noise complaint.
Yeah I'm slightly confused by this. Why and how would Sainsbury's ever stop making that slot available to my neighbour? I don't understand that at all. I get the idea though, just can't see it happening. Although I would argue that if I've respectfully asked my neighbour to stop doing something because it bothers me, they're the bad guy if they insist on continuing doing it without very good reason. I just don't hear a very good reason as to why they can't get their early slot on any other day bar the weekend. Or get a slightly later slot. Meh.

Soldato
OP
You just described yourself :cry:
Feel free to explain to me where I'm being entitled. I'm asking on a computer forum who else would be annoyed by this, and whether or not they would say anything to their neighbour about it. Opinion is split, I'd argue the ones acting entitled are the ones insisting they'd do whatever they want and **** everyone else. Acting entitled would be marching over there straight away and demanding they stop. Which I've not done, nor will I. So go ahead, explain exactly where I'm acting entitled because it seems a very popular word to throw around when clearly people don't know how to use it.

Soldato
OP
Oh.. Erm.. What's the point in this thread then?
Just for the lols ;)

I used to live in a cul de sac and one of the other residents had a battered range rover with the squeakiest belt I've ever heard. In the middle of the day it's not an issue but he used to work shifts and often was coming and going in the early hours.
When it was hot and windows were open it always used to wake me up.
So did you say anything, or just simmer with rage every time? I just don't understand why people can't comprehend discussing these things with their neighbours. Maybe I'm the only one that lives somewhere that a slight disagreement doesn't turn into a raging fist fight or something :o

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't a set of earplugs just resolve the issue?
Having done 5 years of nightshifts I know that sleeping in earplugs is horrible. If you can get to sleep whilst feeling like someone is sticking a pencil in your ear-drum, you have dreams about bursting your ear-drum/losing said earplug in your ear forever :)p) and then waking up with earache anyway. Just no. Hate the things.

Soldato
OP
I know the company I work for would do that. There's no reason for me not to believe that Sainsbury's wouldn't do exactly the same thing.
I'm guessing you don't want to say who you work for, but is it one of the big supermarket/delivery companies? Curious about what you're saying even though everyone else is dismissing it :)

Have you tried closing your windows at night/in the morning rather than complaining about your neighbour? It sounds like your problem.
It's my problem because a neighbour is doing something noisy at an unreasonable time in the morning? Oookaaay. For all we know it annoys the heck out of the other neighbours too but maybe they're too scared to say something.

If I were to stand out in the street in front of his bedroom window at 10:30pm when he's (presumably) in bed, playing the banjo and singing. Would that be my problem or his?

Soldato
OP
Whether you go about by indirectly commenting, asking, demanding - whatever - you're still the guy that's just moved in, and will be perceived as moaning and wanting other people to amend their schedules to suit your lie in.
Perhaps. The girlfriend doesn't want me to say anything (yet, at least) and we're going to see if it does continue to occur at 7am sharp every single Saturday. FWIW she's an early riser and yet still mostly in bed at 7am on the weekend. Like I said, perhaps we've/they've been unlucky with a 2hr slot just for the past few weeks. I just can't compute how 7am specifically on a Saturday would be a necessity for anyone. There's 15 more appropriate hours (8am-11pm or even 7am-10pm if you like) during a 'normal' working day, and much the same at the weekend (starting at 8am/9am). That's 105 different hourly slots they could choose from every week as opposed to literally the couple of hours on a weekend morning where there's a risk of disturbing people.

PS: Wanting to sleep slightly later than 7am on a weekend is not a lie-in! It may be for some people, but by that nature I can go around calling people lazy ****s because they're in bed at 11pm. Which I don't, because everyone is different. 7am is early for a weekend, that's why the law says you shouldn't create noise before then. That's what this thread is about, being appreciative of other people's work/life balance and different schedules. Waking up the street at 7am every weekend is assuming everyone wants to sing your tune just because you've got kids and you're an early riser. It's selfish and shows little regard for your neighbours. Maybe at this point I should mention he has a man-bun, would that get more people on side? :p

Soldato
OP
Sorry but your girlfriend us not an early riser if she's still in bed at 7am. Just man up and ignore it, it's hardly the end of the world.
She's up much earlier on a work day. But like I and most other people I know - we are a bit slower/relaxed on a weekend. There's no alarm clock, no routine unless we're off out to do something. She's normally up by 7.30am on a weekend anyway, but that means even her sleep is going to be interrupted by white noise reversing alarms from the delivery van at 7am. Regardless of what the outcome is with this, I refuse to accept that 7am is not early for someone to be regularly making noise on a weekend.

Soldato
OP
Meh. Like I already mentioned having done 5 years of nightshifts, I know full well how terrible it is sleeping with earplugs. They're not pleasant and as above don't make for a full/decent nights sleep anyway.

Back
Top Bottom