New new pc build

Hey, I'm putting a new build together. Last time I asked about 8 years ago you helped me put together an awesome piece of kit that can still pretty much handle almost anything I thrown at it (here).
I use it for UE4 games development so a lot of lighting builds, video editing, some heavy number crunching, as well as gaming and want to invest in a VR setup at some point.
I haven't been keeping up to date with the latest developments and kit for a while, but was thinking along the lines of:

• i7 processor latest gen (Raptor/Alder) LGA1700
  • 3060/4060 gfx with 12GB?
  • 32 GB RAM
  • 1TB SSD for OS and critical apps
  • 2TB HDD for bulk of apps, games, file storage
  • Water cooling
  • Dual-layer Blu-ray writer (internal or external)
  • Also looking for a funky clear sided full tower case (optionally with space for an optical drive) 2+ USB in front panel and like to keep the cabling tidy so space to hide it away.
  • In the past have always liked/gone for the Gigabyte motherboards and Intel cpus..

I posted earlier this year (here) but kind of got side-tracked and this was the setup I was going to go for but have heard it might be better to avoid 14th gen cores as its had some issues..

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,465.84 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

I'm not too sure what the price range would be to give me a pc in a similar performance bracket relative to todays standards as last time, but have a budget of around £1,400 (not including peripherals or OS) can go up or down a bit depending.
If anyone could suggest a kick ass components list or some other pointers, would be really appreciated.

Previous Spec (2016)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z170 Sniper
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K (8M Cache, up to 4.20 GHz)
GPU: Gainward GeForce GTX 760 Phantom (upgraded to 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (Gigabyte))
Chipset: Intel Z170
RAM: Ninja-V DDR4 3000
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm
£974

Any help in specing me a new PC would be great..
Thanks,
Mach234 (or similar) :)

One thing I might suggest is if possible go for more ram, I went with 64gb for my new machine about a year ago on the basis that you can never have too much memory* and it helped my old machine last nearly 10 years (32gb helped my 4770k last until my 14700).

*And that 3 years down the line adding more memory is often much more difficult than updating the graphics or storage as memory standards seem to change more often and aren't usually backwards compatible (unlike video card slots).

I posted earlier this year (here) but kind of got side-tracked and this was the setup I was going to go for but have heard it might be better to avoid 14th gen cores as its had some issues..
Here's a rebuilt AMD spec, many of the parts are the same, but I have upgraded the GPU which has taken the money down on the CPU, because with the talk of gaming and VR I think a 4070 is a better bet.

7900/7900X versus 9700X isn't an easy decision. The 9700X has higher single core/thread performance and better AVX512 support, which can be very helpful in some workloads, but when the task is fully multithreaded the 12 cores of the 7900/7900X pull ahead. If the price cuts on the 9000 series elsewhere happen here then I'd get the 9900X.

Is there meant to be a PSU in the spec?

Water cooling
I removed this for cost reasons and you don't need an AIO to cool the AMD CPUs anyway.

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,466.81 (includes delivery: £0.00)​

A spec to hit nearer the budget, including a PSU, but with more CPU power and the original 3060 12GB:

My basket at OcUK:

Total: £1,436.75 (includes delivery: £11.98)​

Back
Top Bottom