New NUC, HD5000, 4x USB 3.0, infrared sensor

Soldato
So the general conciousness is wait for the time being?

I was toying with the idea of replacing my messy desktop system at work with one of these but the current 2 core Intel setups worry me a bit with performance. Ideally I'd like something quad core with a lower frequency or a dual core with a higher clock like 3.5GHz

The size, power consumption and VESA mount are very, very appealing though. Shall I just wait for newer stuff to come through?

Man of Honour
Depends what you want it for.
Personally I would wait for the Intel Ms to start showing up. No fans needed. Albeit slightly less powerful.
And if you want something more powerful, I would wait for the Broadwell U chips, no benchmarks for these yet.

CPU benchmarks
intel M 5y70 @ 1.1GHz 2842 (max turbo 2.6Ghz) 4.5w
Intel M 5Y10 @ 0.8Ghz 2617 (max turbo 2.0Ghz max) 4.5w
Atom Z3795 @ 1.6GHz 1658 (which I believe is the current top of the range atom) 2w
i7 4650u @ 1.7GHz 4170 (found in i7 Surface pro 3) 15w
i5 4300u @1.9ghz 3764 (i5 surface Pro 3) 15w
I3 4020y @ 1.5Ghz 2235 (i3 surface Pro 3) 11.5w

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Received the Akasa newton X today, superb little case. Just spent last 40 mins moving everything in. As well as the mSATA SSD, I dropped a 2TB internal drive (the new Samsung 2TB are 9.5mm and fit perfectly inside).

Quick test with handbrake transcoding load and it was running at 55C - seriously impressive for a fanless system.

Soldato
I'm interested in an NUC (or Brix, or similar) to use as a HTPC with XBMC/Kodi or Plex to replace my Raspberry Pi. Don't need it to do anything else bar video/audio playback BUT it needs to be capable of smooth BD playback and HD audio passthrough to my AV receiver. While the Pi can to the playback bit fine, it can't do HD audio passthrough.

All my BD's are stored on a file server and were ripped using MakeMKV so are uncompressed. My network is mostly wired and I'd like to continue with a wired connection is possible

What would you guys recommend? I'd like to install Windows on it. Cost is certainly one of the main factors for me here but the main aim is HD audio passthrough with smooth BD playback

Associate
OP
The current NUC i3s and i5s are more than capable of doing 1080p. It's not that taxing for a modern CPU/GPU. I store blu-ray disks with makemkv and stream them from a USB 3 drive with XBMC absolutely fine.

Although my cinema sounds doesn't support True-HD or DTS-HD so I can't speak for it but the reports are that this is also absolutely fine on the i3 and i5 NUCs. The celeron NUC is capable too but for some reason the windows drivers have some sort of licensing agreement missing and don't support them. People work around it with Openlec.

Brix are nice, people don't tend to like their noise though. The NUC was barely audible, but I went with a fanless case to eliminate it completely + avoid dust build / reduce maintenance as I'm considering moving my USB drives to it + run it 24/7

Soldato
Brix are nice, people don't tend to like their noise though. The NUC was barely audible, but I went with a fanless case to eliminate it completely + avoid dust build / reduce maintenance as I'm considering moving my USB drives to it + run it 24/7

I have a i3 Brix and its a lot quieter than a NUC 2830 I had previously. The fan profiles on the NUC's seem a bit too aggressive and kick in when not needed. I know a lot of people over on the Intel forums were complaining about it a while ago.

I also thought the design of the Brix compared to the NUC was better, but that is just a personal preference.

Soldato
Thats interesting :) I would prefer a Windows box but openelec wouldn't be an issue if I wanted to keep the cost down with a celery-based NUC. If not the i3 certainly sounds more than powerful enough (my current fileserver is just an i3!)

Associate
I'm looking to buy 3 of these for my flight deck simulator. I'm very impressed by the twin display support. Any idea of prices and release dates?

Associate
No this will just run the avionics software called PSX, min reqs are:

Dual-core or multi-core microprocessor, running at 2.5 GHz or higher.
4 GB RAM or more.
3 GB free hard disk space.

Associate
OP
Ah thought that might be the case. Not to take this thread too off-topic but that seems like it would be a good candidate to run on a VM. An old i7 (or Xeons) some RAM running 3 VMs could be a nice way to run your stuff.

*edit* unless there is a dependency on multiple hardware devices that can't be virtualised...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom