New NUC, HD5000, 4x USB 3.0, infrared sensor

R3X

R3X

Soldato
yeah knew it.... something did not feel right

maybe some issue hopefully it was not hardware and just software.

These little boxes are great considering one can leave it 24/7 !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Those cases are so big compared to the stock unit. Given Haswell is cooler than IB I'm guessing that the stock units will be silent, or close to, anyways.

Yeah also do agree oddly, despite being a silent nut. Only issue is the reviews have mentioned it can be heard, more so when heavy task involving the gpu.

But they did say it was not bad though but could be heard.

Either way I think if your not gaming these little systems make great surfing/movie/media boxes, one could put 8gig of ram and a fast msata ssd and add a decent usb dac/soundcard and just leave it switched on 24/7.

And it would be just perfect ! may consider the passive nuc cases in future if its required.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

To be honest, I'd be more worried about the dust intake than the noise. Once you're watching a movie, the sound from the TV will drown out the insignificant fan noise. But dust is a serious issue as it will eventually lead to failure.

Associate
To be honest, I'd be more worried about the dust intake than the noise. Once you're watching a movie, the sound from the TV will drown out the insignificant fan noise. But dust is a serious issue as it will eventually lead to failure.

It's pretty easy to open up and quite small so shouldn't it be relatively easy to 'clean'? Granted if its tucked away in a cabinet somewhere and wired in it might be a bit more of chore I guess :(

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

It's pretty easy to open up and quite small so shouldn't it be relatively easy to 'clean'? Granted if its tucked away in a cabinet somewhere and wired in it might be a bit more of chore I guess :(
Generally that is what happens. Plus, out of sight, out of mind, until it fails.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
One of those passive nuc cases would be ideal, but yeah the issue being I doubt it can be so easily tucked or hidden away, I doubt it would fit the Vesa mount behind a TV but am sure someone will try it regardless!

Dust is pretty evil but I have never had an actual full PC die from dust, only a GPU fried once and It was the dust that got clogged up so overheated and died on me. Otherwise I once ran a PC with all sides off and full of dust for 2-3 years straight lol

I think perhaps keep an air dust spray can handy in your room. It would be a constant mental image to remind you to clean your dusty pc and nuc hidden away ;)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
tranquil shop just released their nuc passive case for £99.99 supports the new nuc which is delayed even ( D54250WYB )

While its slightly bigger and more bulky, it does make the case less dust/dirt and 100% silent making it a worthy upgrade but it is pricey @ 99 quid, still you pay for silence once only!

Associate
Pretty tempted by the case, though can't see if it supports IR? It doesn't seem to be too clear from the images whether it does or not, and no mention of it in the description.

Will definitely consider it after I get one though....anyone got one of these for the previous gen?

Soldato
Thats the first fanless NUC case (that actually does anything, looking at you Silverstone) that looks decent enough for me to want to have it in my room. How much less are NUC boards vs the kit? £50? Makes this case cheaper than it first appears.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Pretty tempted by the case, though can't see if it supports IR? It doesn't seem to be too clear from the images whether it does or not, and no mention of it in the description.

Will definitely consider it after I get one though....anyone got one of these for the previous gen?

Tranquil PC is upgrading its 110 x 164 x 47 mm chassis to Haswell. Compatible with Intel's D54250WYB (the actual board from the D54250WYK kit) the new case, featuring front audio and infrared sensor, is available right now for £99.

Says so on fanlesstech

Also a new fanless case due soon Akasa tesla for the new delayed NUCS :

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2013/10/exclusive-akasa-tesla.html

Personally I love it, its been way overdue and am glad people realise that fans are evil and silence is bliss :)

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Also ECS are releasing the bay trail line up of itx mobos with cpus ( all passive) dual celeron and quad celeron and quad intel pentiums.

See the pics and details here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7453/ecs-reveals-bay-traild-miniitx-line

These maybe the next mobos to go for if anyone is planning on building a htpc or just a powerful surfing, downloading, music+movie box, list are endless of course, and more importantly all passive heatsinks on them !

It maybe cheaper to build a system like this, while the size and power will be greater you get a bit more features or flexibility.

Associate
Tranquil PC is upgrading its 110 x 164 x 47 mm chassis to Haswell. Compatible with Intel's D54250WYB (the actual board from the D54250WYK kit) the new case, featuring front audio and infrared sensor, is available right now for £99.

Says so on fanlesstech

Ah thanks, I just went directly to the Tranquil website and I don't think it mentioned anything like this. I wonder if they are 'available right now' given that the NUCs aren't yet haha :D

Soldato

Says so on fanlesstech

Also a new fanless case due soon Akasa tesla for the new delayed NUCS :

http://www.fanlesstech.com/2013/10/exclusive-akasa-tesla.html

Personally I love it, its been way overdue and am glad people realise that fans are evil and silence is bliss :)

Really like that akasa case. I'll be keeping an eye it for that when the new NUC eventually shows

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah got a feeling the Akasa case will come in with a decent price but will see. Its nice to see silent passive cases, and with the nuc its a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom