New Old PSU Safe to Use

Associate
I just discovered a brand new factory sealed Corsair PSU in my attic. It's a HX650 Gold. I think it's been there since 2010. Would any deterioration have occurred through none-use or would it be safe to use?

Soldato
Very long storage causes deterioration in aluminium oxide layer of electrolytic capacitors.
(normal leakage current during use constantly rebuilds oxide layer)
So there's risk that it won't work fully at first with capacitors not functioning fully.
With worst case being that some capacitors are shorted, or leakage current unsafe.

Would myself first check with oscilloscope that 5V standby is correct and ripple is in specs.
After that would jump start it and measure other rails.

Certainly would run it some without anything valuable connected.

Associate
OP
Very long storage causes deterioration in aluminium oxide layer of electrolytic capacitors.
(normal leakage current during use constantly rebuilds oxide layer)
So there's risk that it won't work fully at first with capacitors not functioning fully.
With worst case being that some capacitors are shorted, or leakage current unsafe.

Would myself first check with oscilloscope that 5V standby is correct and ripple is in specs.
After that would jump start it and measure other rails.

Certainly would run it some without anything valuable connected.
Thanks, That's probably why my PC Power & Cooling PSU went pop when I switched it on after spending several years in the attic.

Soldato
Thanks, That's probably why my PC Power & Cooling PSU went pop when I switched it on after spending several years in the attic.
Also if storage place is cold (like during winter) it would be good to let PSU warm into room temperature for hour or two to avoid risk of condensation causing shorts.

Back
Top Bottom