New OS warranty invalid?

Soldato
Not sure where to post this, but as it’s a fault I’ve gone for general hardware.

My sister bought a laptop last Xmas from a well know high street retailer (the fool!), The keyboard has just developed a fault – one of the keys is stuck ‘on’ rendering the laptop useless.

I have installed Windows 7 (7100 beta) on the Laptop and due to this the retailer is claiming the warranty is invalid? Surly this can’t be true?

Any advice other than don’t buy from the high street...

Cheers

Soldato
OP
I could but the store already has the Laptop, seems a bit daft getting it of them re-installing Vista and giving it back to them (although the store will re-install Vista for a mere £49!) Originally the store told my sister the Laptop didn’t work due to it been incompatible with Windows 7, although it took the Laptop 3 months to realise it didn’t like Windows7

Soldato
Short answer: they're messing you around and are probably trying to get an OS upgrade out of you to fix a duff keyboard. Go complain.

Long answer: we get this all the time with hardware vendors when hardware breaks. The trick is to prove that the hardware is at fault, not the driver, OS etc.

If it is a key you can use in the BIOS, show them. If it's a letter, the bios password entry screen is a good idea (just don't lock yourself out). If not, download a bootable Linux ISO or even go as far as making a bootable Vista image (if such things exist, I've never tried it) to prove the that problem persists regardless of software.

Back
Top Bottom