New PC build advice! £2000+

Associate
Hello,

I'm new to the forums here :) but this will be my 2nd gaming PC. I built my 1st one back in 2013 and spent around £1000, so kinda looking to upgrade now. Been spending the last few weeks researching, on what the best cpu's are, and what ram is the best etc. So here's a list I've compiled on what I'm planning on getting.
Budgets around £2000 this time :p

First off, from what I've read, the i7-7700K is the popular choice. Although it apparently has heat issues, but I'm planning on buying the Pre-Binned version off Overclockers anyway. Hoping to achieve 5Gz.
Keep in mind I primarily use my PC for gaming, watching youtube vids, general browsing. I dont need a workhorse of a computer. I don't make vids or use photoshop or use any cpu intensive programs. Which is why I believe, for me at least, Intel is the better choice over say, a Ryzen 7 1800X.

For the motherboard, I've been looking at the Asus Strix Z270E Gaming. I mean it has all the ports and stuff I need. Can't really say much more about that. I was considering the Maximus IX Hero, if anyone has any input here?

GPU, the Asus Strix ROG GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB. Right now the price has spiked due to the whole cryptocurrency mining ordeal that's going on just now but I'm sure you're all aware of that. To be honest I'm in no rush to get this. I'll happily wait for the price to drop. But I'm pretty set on this card.

As for RAM, I was going to go for the Corsair Dominator Platinum. Still undecided about what setup to go for here. I mean I'm kinda leaning towards getting 4 x 4GB (16GB) @ 3000MHZ. The only reason I want the 4 sticks is mainly because I think it looks more appealing :p but I'm thinking if I go for the 4 sticks then there will be no room for future upgrades. But then again, won't 32GB's be a bit overkill for a gaming rig? I mean what games even come close to 16GB? It was either Corsair of the 2 sticks of the G.Skill Trident z RGB, again 16Gb's but @ 3200MHz. I know I won't see much of a difference with regards to the speeds, but I just want to make sure either is fast enough, thats all really, and that they look good. Not really looking to overclock these yet either.

As for the CPU cooler, I'm just gonna use my own Corsair H115i, but swap the stock fans for Corsair's new HD140 RGB fans. Anyone have any experience with these on thier coolers? I'm planning on mounting my radiator on the front as an intake, with the fans pulling air in through the radiator. As for case fans, I was going to swap all my old ones with Corsair's ML120's/140. Going to have 3 ML120's along the top as exhaust's and a ML140 in the back, also as an exhaust. Does this sound like a good configuration with regards to airflow?

PSU, well I was just looking for something modular, and with enough power for any additions I make later down the line. Like maybe getting another GPU for SLI, who knows. So decided on the Corsair HX1000i. Probably more than I need, ever, but at least it's all there if I do need it. Also looked into getting the BitFenix Alchemy 2.0 modular PSU cables in white. Thought that would look pretty cool :p

Last up the case, leaning towards the Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX in the light silver with tempered glass.
Think it looks quite smart and minimalist.

As for drives I'll just swap over my old ones. Got 1TB hdd, 2TB hdd and 120GB ssd. Will be getting one of those m.2 ssd's that folk are raving about. Although I have'nt really looked into them much. Recommend any?

Overall, I'm going for a white, black, silver, grey kinda colour scheme. So I'm aiming for all the lights to be white, and the psu cables to be white. I think it'll look pretty smart when it's finished.

Anyway, I think that about wraps it up. Thanks for reading if you got this far :p

Soldato
Sounds like you've done all the research!
If all you're doing is gaming, then I would stick with 16GB RAM. If you're aiming for 5ghz on the CPU, having less RAM will put less strain on the CPU's memory controller.

The 7700K loves fast RAM so get the fastest you can afford.

The point you make about the GPU prices and mining is right, but hasn't really affected 1080ti prices, the theory is that because it's one of the more expensive GPUs miners have gone for cheaper, mid ranged priced cards so don't hold off buying because of that.

You pretty much much end up with the same rig as me, enjoy it!

Soldato
16GB is very good amount definitely good for many years, but four DIMMs is always more stressfull on memory controller, possibly limiting their clocks/causing problem or needing more voltage.
On top of extra consumption of more DIMMs...
So as usual going for fashion/looks is completely opposite of rational and sense making.

First off, from what I've read, the i7-7700K is the popular choice... Hoping to achieve 5Gz.
Without "delidding" and swapping toothpaste under heatspreader to liquid metal trying that surely achieves at least highish temperatures.
But that clock speed increase is such small that it won't bring significant use life increase.
(~30% overclockings of Core 2 era were entirely different thing)

If you want lasting PC while that CPU is now fastest for most of existing games, it's not that "hot" looking for longer than couple years because of only four cores.
(which was reached decade ago)
Coffee Lake coming in some months will be first real advance of desktop CPUs for Intel in many years.

Sure PC games have been very slow in improving multithreading.
But that's because of Intel pinching in core count with all those dual cores in mobile side and on desktop most CPUs having their multithreading limited by disabled HT in everything but top models.
So game developers haven't been eager to improve multihreading when they haven't been able to trust on having that many cores available to run game.
Ryzen should finally force de facto minimum number of cores to four.
And if game developers start optimizing multithreading anything as well as in consoles four cores can easily become limiting factor in heavier games in 3-4 years.
In case of Intel upgrade always means expensive changing of also motherboard.

In comparison graphics card is very easy to swap and trying to future proof for longer than couple years of time is waste.
Because of completely multithreading work graphics card will keep becoming faster at steady space.
So todays luxury priced card don't have even real usa value in 4-5 years likely losing to mainstream card in 2-3 years. (except in making heat)
Or at least better make sure that other aspect of gaming, audio side is decent.
Doesn't even cost more than fraction of one graphics card when using headphones.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the response guys. So just to clarify what you're saying about the memory, its better to have, say 2 sticks totalling 32Gb than it is to have 4 sticks totalling 16Gb? Is it the amount of sticks that is stressful for the cpu? or the amount of ram?
And I haven't heard of the coffeelake cpu :s would it be worth waiting? I mean, to be honest, I'm in no rush to start building. My current pc will be fiine for now, but I'm hoping to start building before October though.
Also, this is my fear. About devs starting to take advantage of more cpu threads for thier games. So I would like something kind of futureproof. I know it won't be for another good few years though. But I'd like to see this build last me for another 3-4 years, at least.

Sidenote, I might be looking into going 1440p. Later down the line. Any experience there? Would this build manage that?

Thanks again folks :)

Associate
I have pretty much this exact build. Same motherboard 7700k at 4.8 Ghz and Asus ROG 1080 Ti all with an ultrawide X34 monitor at 1440p. It runs everything perfectly and in my view is the perfect resolution.

Associate
OP
Right now, I'm using the BenQ XL2411 144Hz monitor. After playing games on this I don't think I can go back to anyting under 144Hz. So ideally, I'd like to get an ultrawide 1440p 144Hz monitor with <4ms response time. Which I don't think exists? Or I haven't been able to find one yet :/

Associate
I had a 144 hz TN 1 ms panel. 60 hz to 100 hz is night and day, the step up between 100 hz to 144 hz is far smaller. To my mind the IPS and ultra wide is well worth the trade off. In all honestly I can't tell the difference between 100 hz and 144 hz.

It doesn't currently exist. If refresh rate important to you, you may be better off with a 27 inch 144 hz. This would also be a lot cheaper. A 100 hz ultra wide you're looking at 900 quid ish.

Associate
OP
60 hz to 100 hz is night and day, the step up between 100 hz to 144 hz is far smaller.
Interesting, this was my worry. That dropping to a 100Hz monitor would feel very different. I can see the difference clearly between 60Hz and 144Hz as I have both monitors, but I've never experienced a 100Hz monitor. But if you're saying threre's no real obvious difference between 100 and 144 then I might just bite the bullet and go for an ultrawide :p thanks for the feedback ;)

Associate
If you're in no rush why not wait and see if you can save some money on Black Friday deals in November...they run for weeks nowadays...and if the aforementioned coffee lake and Ryzen impact on pricing there are savings potentially around then anyway.

I've specced a £2k build and I'm thinking of hanging on until then, as I have other ideas for any money I save.

Associate
I've created wish lists of my pick list on different shopping sites and will just keep an eye on things that way...just means every time I log onto FB I get targetted adverts for PC components now lol

Associate
There is always something around the corner, my view rightly or wrongly. Buy it now, enjoy it and don't worry. Kaby lake is a great chip. Of course, personnel preference and depends on your circumstance. I did buy a 1080 then a 1080 ti though, so maybe ignore me!

Back
Top Bottom