New PC Build for DX10?

Soldato
i read that DirectX10 isnt backwards compatible.. and i was going to be buying a 7900 to upgrade from my 256MB GTX but then i thought there is no point.. seeing as at the end of the year we will be in DX10 mode.

i basically wanted to ask if you thought it would be worth keeping the current machine:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice
1GB OCZ DDR PC3200 400Mhz
Leadtek 7800GTX @ 490/1.35

and building a new one at the end of this year/begining of next with a DX10 gcard? or just buy a 7900 and keep this rig?

cheers,
naffa

Associate
I am pretty sure that dx10 will be backwards compatible with older graphics cards, for a start it would be a real kick in the teeth for games developers as they could only sell to those that had the latest gear.
If i was you i would just keep the rig as it is and then upgrade the card when the new cards come out (also the release of m2 socket) so you can do a proper upgrade then.

Caporegime
quoted from gord:

"Well, it seems to be that DirectX 10 will not be backwards comptable with 9,8,7. WHOA!!, you might say, but hold up there. Rumours are that there will be software emulation included at the expense of system resources."

Soldato
dbappa said:
quoted from gord:

"Well, it seems to be that DirectX 10 will not be backwards comptable with 9,8,7. WHOA!!, you might say, but hold up there. Rumours are that there will be software emulation included at the expense of system resources."

If its not they will shoot themselfs in the foot.

Soldato
OP
sormicoft said:
too much money lol

send some my way :)
im 15 :o the only reason i wanted to upgrade because i thought that a 7900 would have a longer shelf life. i dont want to upgrade.. which is why i want a 7900.. if you understand what i mean :confused:

Soldato
naffa said:
im 15 :o the only reason i wanted to upgrade because i thought that a 7900 would have a longer shelf life. i dont want to upgrade.. which is why i want a 7900.. if you understand what i mean :confused:
I’m guessing the reason you upgraded to a 7800GTX in the first place is because it was the best there was at the time... and it had looked future proof.

It would be a colossal waste of cash to upgrade to a 7900 or whatever the next cards will be.

What size monitor and resolution do you use to game at?

box

box

Associate
im 15 the only reason i wanted to upgrade because i thought that a 7900 would have a longer shelf life. i dont want to upgrade.. which is why i want a 7900.. if you understand what i mean

Maybe you should think about revising for the exams you'll have this year instead of fretting about the shelf life of your gaming hardware? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
yeh seriously. do you personally have the funds to do seomthing as mad as changing that system ?

its satisfying in its own right to have a system that you can keep for a long time, it makes you feel you got real value.

my system in sig (except a very chearp gfx increase) was purchased almost 3 years ago and it still holds up in games fine.

Do not be sucked into marketing.

if you really want the best gfx get a xbox 360 or wait for PS3.

Associate
I Second all the above. Your rig is fine and you'd be better off waiting until Socket M-2, (or whatever it'll end up being called), has matured which should coincide with DX10 games being available.

Hardware upgrade addiction is a black hole. Stay clear of the event horizon or risk being sucked in. (Along with all your cash which will disappear faster than you can say "i'm-sure-i-had-seven-grand-in-the-bank-this-time-last-year-and-what-is-this-minus-sign-now-doing-on-my-bank-statement!" :(

Soldato
OP
ahh.. i know what you all mean. im thinking now that i want to get a 7900 because it will last longer than my 7800.. which will be the case, but only by a few months. i dont have any money at all atm and as mentioned above, my exams should be at the top of my list ;) but as you all said, i now realise how foolish i would be to upgrade to hardware which is current meaning a new card, thats still DX9/PCI-E.

Back
Top Bottom