New PC build just dead

Man of Honour
OP
Ok, so I disconnected the gpu, sound card and some of the USB inputs and it posted! I’m now getting lights and LEDs. I did read a post earlier regarding someone having a BIOS issue with USB case connectors…

Time for food and then a process of elimination! Thanks for your help all, will report back.

Life!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Seems to be the USB 3.2 Gen Type-C connector causing it! I’m assuming there’s a bios update or some such. Wow.

I feel like I need RGB along the bottom, although those are expensive fans to replace, but one thing at a time! I do have a light strip along the bottom I guess.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be the USB 3.2 Gen Type-C connector causing it! I’m assuming there’s a bios update or some such. Wow.

I feel like I need RGB along the bottom, although those are expensive fans to replace, but one thing at a time! I do have a light strip along the bottom I guess.
Tbh, I quite like the contrast of having the RGB sandwiched between two sets of non RGB fans like that.

Glad you've got it sorted mate.

Associate
I'm assuming those cables are for your front panel/chassis USB ports ? Is it an older case with 3.0 or 3.1 gen ports ? That shouldn't be an issue ... normally.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm assuming those cables are for your front panel/chassis USB ports ? Is it an older case with 3.0 or 3.1 gen ports ? That shouldn't be an issue ... normally.

NZXT H9 flow.

Apparently…
2x USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A
1x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C

Makes sense, the board says it supports Gen 1 type C. My bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Finally installing windows.
Did you get the USB 3.2 Gen Type-C connector working?

Am sure there was a thread somewhere (maybe not on these forums) about the connector having to be perfectly aligned and inserted fully or it can cause boot problems.
Had a search but can't find it so may be i was mistaken.

Nice build. :)

EDIT

Looks like you need X670 for gen 2.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Annoyingly I am now pricing up that case!

I built a new machine about a year ago but re-used the case.

Thinking now I would like this one lol...

I was torn between the Hyte Y60/70, Lian Li O11 Vision/Dynamic and the NZXT H9 Flow/Elite. Ended up with the H9 flow and very happy with it. Picked it up for £150 and think it was pretty good value. Was still rocking an old and small ex display Anidees case that was a pain to work with and had terrible cooling.

Not too bad all in all:

I just have a vibration somewhere that I need to find.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems to be the USB 3.2 Gen Type-C connector causing it!

that particular connector is keyed one way, if you install it wrong you can damage the small plastic tab inside on the motherboard side and create a ground short which will stop any pc from powering on. Did you plug it back in and flip it the other way or leave it unplugged?

Man of Honour
OP
that particular connector is keyed one way, if you install it wrong you can damage the small plastic tab inside on the motherboard side and create a ground short which will stop any pc from powering on. Did you plug it back in and flip it the other way or leave it unplugged?

Have left it so far, but I’ll be back in the case tomorrow for the reason below that I just came to update this thread with.

I can’t explain why it occurred to me this morning when I started work, but I realised my RGB ‘intake’ fans are the wrong way around, probably explaining my slightly higher than expected idles. In other words, I have bottom intake x3 and front, rear and top exhaust x7 :D. I had a lot more on my mind at the time of ordering them.

Finding a ‘reverse’ fan kit that looks good on the front (without the fan bars across) and with decent RGB is surprisingly tough, but I’ve settled with these. Looked at a few Lian Li offerings, but couldn’t settle on any. Had a few other options, but didn’t like the RGB arrangement. So settled on these:

Not to everyone’s taste, but I like them and they’re better than all but the Lian li’s that I’m not sure I can justify £45 a fan on. I may well use my current ‘intake’ fans, that are actually RGB exhausts when positioned in the designed way on top of the case.

It’s a pretty minor issue, but having not built a pc in ages I want this one to be right. It’s bound to help with a few degrees in the case too.

Got them in just before tomorrows shipping window closed, they are now on the way, good work OcUK :)

Last edited:
Associate

I’m just surprised there is zero life, not even standby hums or anything. Can’t think what I have missed.

Have I broken something? I’ll check I haven’t missed a cable. What’s the minimum I need to do to get signs of life from the PSU?

If I put my ear up to the PSU I can hear a very faint clicking.

I’ve worked out where the lights are on the MB. Surely all it needs is the main power connector in order to show signs of life?
I have the 750e and it sure was confusing to set the cables in the right place. Double check the cables and which connectors you're using. Modular my ass!

Associate
I see you've fixed it, what was the actual problem then? (Cba to read the whole thread)
*Did you get a Corsair case sticker with yours? I never got one. Spending £100 on a PSU they could at least have put a bloody sticker in there lol.

Last edited:
Associate
Have left it so far, but I’ll be back in the case tomorrow for the reason below that I just came to update this thread with.

I can’t explain why it occurred to me this morning when I started work, but I realised my RGB ‘intake’ fans are the wrong way around, probably explaining my slightly higher than expected idles. In other words, I have bottom intake x3 and front, rear and top exhaust x7 :D. I had a lot more on my mind at the time of ordering them.

Finding a ‘reverse’ fan kit that looks good on the front (without the fan bars across) and with decent RGB is surprisingly tough, but I’ve settled with these. Looked at a few Lian Li offerings, but couldn’t settle on any. Had a few other options, but didn’t like the RGB arrangement. So settled on these:

Not to everyone’s taste, but I like them and they’re better than all but the Lian li’s that I’m not sure I can justify £45 a fan on. I may well use my current ‘intake’ fans, that are actually RGB exhausts when positioned in the designed way on top of the case.

It’s a pretty minor issue, but having not built a pc in ages I want this one to be right. It’s bound to help with a few degrees in the case too.

Got them in just before tomorrows shipping window closed, they are now on the way, good work OcUK :)
Even re-adjusting the fans you'll probably find temps remain high. I'm running with 9 fans ( 3 intake on bottom and side, 3 exhausting through the AIO radiator at the top ) and I consistently get 45 degrees with a light load. Thought about re-pasting my CPU ( using a plastic AM5 guard and spatula to spread the paste evenly across the whole IHS ) but after researching CPU temps over the last few days I've come to accept that somewhere between 40-50 degrees is what the majority of people are getting for idle temps with the 7800X3D. There are a few who claim to have mid 30's but they are very much the outliers. At the end of the day my system is stable ; no crashes at all and 70 degrees is about the max I'm getting playing games etc.

As for the reverse airflow fans - wish they existed when I first installed my cooling set up. I can live with the "ugly" backside view of the fans - I'm not spending another £200+ for purely aesthetics. But if I was going to I think I'd go with the Lian-Li Uni SL-INF 120 fans ( with controller ) and Lian-Li Galahad II Trinity SL-INF AIO 360mm ARGB.

Back
Top Bottom