New PC build to replace 6yr old rig

Associate
Im looking at speccing a new pc and have a few parts picked out but as usual i always seem to pick out really expensive components,ive tried to reign it in a bit to meet my £2500 budget,but i think ill end up going over based on my part selection so far.
I was going to build new a couple years ago but ended up getting a slightly better gpu and more ram and so far its been good,but this year is the time for a new build.
Have a mooch at my parts so far,still a monitor to add,nvme for primary OS and ssd for games etc.
Mainly gaming and possibly streaming,usual web browsing will be the usage i will be doing.
Im more than willing to listen to other suggestions on components etc
TIA

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,009.79 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Man of Honour
3900x 12 core + 32gb 3600 ram + 2080ti + 960gb nvme ssd
and arguably one of the best ips 1440p 144hz panels
phanteks amp is a rebranded seasonic focus plus gold and also carries a 10 year warranty

Total: £2,603.88 (includes shipping: £28.02)

for basically the same price as your spec above, i know which one i'd go for :p

Soldato
Im looking at speccing a new pc and have a few parts picked out but as usual i always seem to pick out really expensive components,ive tried to reign it in a bit to meet my £2500 budget
No matter how ludicrously overpriced graphics card you'll buy, it won't last long as high end.
For some years Nvidia has focused in to pumping up users' butts... err prices.
Hence above £500 performance per price goes to bad and worse.

Also that hyped raytracing of RTX cards is pretty much in beta test.
Their marketing "forgets" to tell that using raytracing makes performance crash to ground like MCAS 737 MAX with 30-50% loss in framerate.
And limiting "accuracy" to try to control performance penalty can cause ugly artefacts:
https://static.techspot.com/articles-info/1934/images/F-8.jpg
https://www.techspot.com/article/1934-the-state-of-ray-tracing/

Wouldn't keep it as miracle if in next fall we have better raytracing cards at half the price.
That would be the time to buy expensived card with new GPU generations out and hopefully CPU like competition also in graphics cards.

ill add an ssd as well i think,1tb.
Really no sense to buy two SSDs at once to get capacity.
Adata SX8200 Pro and many Phison E12 based drives are well priced at 2TB size.

Soldato
saving some more cash, 8 core ryzen. 8 Core Zen 3 will come close to 12 core Zen 2 in Q3 this year ( clock speed and IPC )
MSI dual fan dual slot 2080Ti will run hot ! Gigabytes is still 2 slots but more heatsink surface and 3 fans - both GPU and Mobo UK RMA

Total: £1,917.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)

push 1440p monitor then would step up 165hz with the 2080ti - roughly same pricing as £100 off at mo

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ync-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-004-gi.html

as always Rocket 1tb NVMe drive

Associate
OP
saving some more cash, 8 core ryzen. 8 Core Zen 3 will come close to 12 core Zen 2 in Q3 this year ( clock speed and IPC )
MSI dual fan dual slot 2080Ti will run hot ! Gigabytes is still 2 slots but more heatsink surface and 3 fans - both GPU and Mobo UK RMA

Total: £1,917.58 (includes shipping: £14.70)

push 1440p monitor then would step up 165hz with the 2080ti - roughly same pricing as £100 off at mo

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ync-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-004-gi.html

as always Rocket 1tb NVMe drive
This looks great as well,add the monitor and under 2.5K,ill give the 2 examples a good look and make a choice
Thanks Orbital,appreciate the hel[.

Associate
OP
Ok,made a few changes and swapped a couple of items.
Went for Tamzzys pick on mobo as it has an optical in ,perfect for my astro a40 headphones,and CPU cooler,the rest is as Orbitals spec including monitor, added sleeved extensions as well.
Dropped down on cpu to 3700x,should be more than enough for gaming and streaming,but ill stand corrected im sure.
Case is currently out of stock but looking at Lian Li Lancool 2 as a back up
Basket as it stands for now until i get funds in place (soon i hope).

Total: £2,574.59 (includes shipping: £20.82)

Soldato
@Buckleheid Gigabyte/Aorus is the better board. specially with UK RMA and customer service. just see other threads based on them for level of support rep gives.

little bit more but direct rival for asus board you've listed

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-57w-gi.html

has internal USB C connector, which you could use in a case like NZXT H510 - being the cheapest case that had front USB C 3.1 port

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/nzxt-h510-midi-tower-gaming-case-black-tempered-glass-ca-1a5-nx.html

heads up- that Monitor may back up in price today. OCUK change weekly sale prices 12pm wednesdays . if they do- argue with CS and point to this thread it was in your basket ;)

Associate
OP
odd you'll go for a worse spec, considering you can get a 12c 3900x with 32gb ram build for the exact same price :p
streaming and gaming...more cores = better, as you'll either lose fps and/or viewer will have dropped frames

no point spending extra £££ on getting premium tier on a particular GPU - thoughts here: https://www.techspot.com/review/1861-rtx-2060-budget-vs-premium-graphics-card/
I see what you mean about the gpus.
On the cpu,is there that much difference between the 3700x and the 3900x to justify the difference in price?
I will flip flop between the 2 examples for ages ,too much choice!

Associate
OP
its more on everday use for me in gaming and streaming etc,im leaning towards the 3700x to keep the cost down a little bit,ideally id add the 3900x and be done with it,but that takes me over the 2.7k mark, just though.
Im set on most components apart from the cpu,i have read the article on the gpu you linked and have went back to your suggestion on the gpu :)
Swapped out the case as phanteks one is out of stock atm
I always end up being conflicted between peoples advice as i dont really know whats the most cost effective way to get max out of the parts etc

Soldato
@Buckleheid @tamzzy

sorry, didnt read the streaming. 12 core ryzen is better - specially if your playing the 5% of games that use more then 4 cores like BFV,COD , Assassins Creed etc . Most now use Nvidia own codec for streaming if they have a higher tiered GPU.
You'll have to to a good amount of reading into CPU vs GPU streaming and at what bit rates etc etc

also, apologies, linked wrong 2080ti- Meant to be Gaming OC 2080ti for extra £20 over the Windforce and £110 over the MSI .

Two main reasons , 4 yr warranty vs 3 and the MAIN reason 3 fan and 2.5 slot vs the 2 slot of the Windforce and Ventus ( 2.25 slot) , which has dual fan only and runs hot . anyone thats owned a 2080ti will tell you its toasty ! Ventus 2080 non S runs at 82c , my 2080 Aorus runs cooler with NO intake fans what so ever with Gigabyte ditching the stacked fan design due to it performing worse then their Gaming OC versions ( hence new RX5700XT Aorus being the way it is )

would still hunt rocket 1tb, Gaming X at £145 saves a lot of cash to if looking for 12 core ryzen

after 32gb ram.. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html

Man of Honour
Gaming X at £145 saves a lot of cash to if looking for 12 core ryzen
come on now orbi, no shilling for gigabyte.
so much about talking about spending extra and running cool and then you go recommend the x570 gaming x lol for a 3900x
the x570 gaming x is not a board for the 3900x, honestly really now is it?

the asus x570 prime-p is the hands down winner in the budget x570 section

11:50 onwards

Soldato
come on now orbi, no shilling for gigabyte.
so much about talking about spending extra and running cool and then you go recommend the x570 gaming x lol for a 3900x
the x570 gaming x is not a board for the 3900x, honestly really now is it?

the asus x570 prime-p is the hands down winner in the budget x570 section

11:50 onwards

ran 16 cores on the Gaming X - **************************** . runs fine as mosfets can handle 130c for 20 hour periods .
Main reason for selection is Price. Tam, be happy to run Gaming X and 16 core overclocked if you supplied it to myself :D

heads up with the video. LLC for Asus and Gigabyte are opposite ends of the spectrum , which means the Gigabyte runs hotter via the VRM. LLC for Asus would have to be Level 6/7 to match Extreme on the Gaming X - which to be fair would only ever run on Master or Xtreme. And with asus, specially Strix Level 3/4 is best sweet spot . Its very easy to pick apart reviewers to help or hinder a company. ASRock shouldnt be on Extreme as well

asus LLC levels

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?108593-What-is-Load-Line-Calibration-and-should-I-use-it

technically Best bang for buck and features

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...4-x570-chipset-atx-motherboard-mb-34g-ms.html

though MSI and Asus along with the rest are screwed if UK-EU trade deal for postage isn't sorted. Companies will have to pay import and export on packages shipped to NL and back . Not much for a Parcel of a Mobo to be fare, but when you have to ship a lot of RMAs back and forth when you had no tax before hand adds up. then delays . Pushed ASUS to move RMA UK side. they have the funds to do so.

Back
Top Bottom