New PC Speakers needed.

Soldato
At the moment i have Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II speakers, they are only 3 months old but they have a really annoying feature.

New EU law states these PC Speakers need to go into standby if no sound is picked up for 5 minutes, this means when you play a song or video, you miss the first 3-4 seconds as the speakers need to wake up.

Now i have had 3 sets of these speakers and the 2 sets before this were fine.

What should i look at next? Must be 2.1 and i don't have room for a separate base box.

Cheers

Soldato
Mine don't but I don't have the latest version.

Looking at their various websites they seem to have slashed their range and are focusing more on BT speakers, because that is what everybody wants of course :rolleyes:

You are probably best off going for a pair of studio monitors or a pair of bookshelf speakers with a fairly cheap T amp, all of which are going to cost more than the T40s though.

Soldato
OP
I'll stick these on the MM and order some tonight, these are great speakers ruined by one thing :(

I'll look into the R1600, seemed to be expensive now though.

I had the T20 but they were crap compared to these.

Soldato
Yeah, when I bought the R1600T they were £55 if I remember correctly. Since the redesign, putting the port on the front, new cabinet shape and more powerful amp, the price has increased by a huge amount but then the price of the older model was ludicrously low for what you got.

Soldato
£55 was on a weekly deal surely; they came up on £50 deal quite often. If they weren't on a weekly deal, then it was a EOL price drop. £75 was the normal price for the R1600T. They were a bargain for £50 and £75 was good value.

Even at £90, they're not expensive. If that's expensive, then the T40 are also expensive. R1800T III usual price is only £10 more than the T40.

£80 for speakers with 2x 2.5" drivers in my opinion, rely too much on that Xport for bass. The only thing the T40 have going for them in my opinion, is the small footprint.

Also confused how the OP can think the T20 are crap compared to the T40, when they use two of the same woofer in each speaker? If one is crap, using two crap woofers doesn't suddenly make a good speaker.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just checked my orders and I paid £60 for the Edifiers in February 2013, so obviously on some kind of deal - I think they spent most of their time on one deal or another :D

Associate
Bought the Edifiers from Overclockers in December 2012 for £50 and for that price were unrivaled. Well maybe not unrivaled as the Wharfedale 9.0s are often on sale for £40 but you'd have to buy a t-amp to run them.
Having a built in amp means you can run them straight through a TV's headphone out socket which has come in handy.
They're also good for music providing you leave enough room for the rear facing bass port.

Soldato
OP
£55 was on a weekly deal surely; they came up on £50 deal quite often. If they weren't on a weekly deal, then it was a EOL price drop. £75 was the normal price for the R1600T. They were a bargain for £50 and £75 was good value.

Even at £90, they're not expensive. If that's expensive, then the T40 are also expensive. R1800T III usual price is only £10 more than the T40.

£80 for speakers with 2x 2.5" drivers in my opinion, rely too much on that Xport for bass. The only thing the T40 have going for them in my opinion, is the small footprint.

Also confused how the OP can think the T20 are crap compared to the T40, when they use two of the same woofer in each speaker? If one is crap, using two crap woofers doesn't suddenly make a good speaker.

Maybe just the ones I had were crap but the t40 were far superior.

Soldato
hornetstinger;30468662 said:
You really don't need a subwoofer with close monitor PC speakers. I'm using these for the PC and they're great

You probably don't, but it's pretty jarring at first.

Back
Top Bottom